New chicken mom here, is this normal hen sound or not?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by thytay&chickenmomma, May 23, 2017.

1. thytay&chickenmomma

thytay&chickenmomma Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2017
    NC
    I am new to the forum & a new chicken mom too. I have read & learned a lot from these forums & now find a need to post a question for help. I have a hen who is 10-12 weeks old I think, best I can calculate since I got her from Rural King on sale because they said they were older & they needed them gone & simply told me they were anywhere from 1 to several weeks old. Yesterday, 5-22-17, she started making a constant slow cluck type sound & I am unsure if it is normal or something wrong with her. None of the other chickens are doing it & she never did it prior to yesterday & today. I tried videoing her doing it.
    She is drinking, eating, & pooing all normal. No discharge from eyes or nostrils. On medicated chicken starter, is not free range due to too many wild animals that could harm them. I give them electrolytes & probiotics in their water. Otherwise acting fine. Any help? I have never owned chickens or even been around chickens until these girls. I started with 12 Rhode Island Reds & ISA Browns, & then loved them so much went & got 12 more 2 weeks later. But I am totally knew to owning chickens & learning as I go, worried for my girl. I appreciate any advice, opinions, or help. Thanks.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Sounds like she's finding her adult voice to me.

3. PennyM

PennyM Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2017
    Greenville, SC
    I'm new to chickens too but I think she sounds cute!

4. SueT

SueT Overrun With Chickens

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    Yes it's just the voice changing, very cute! Maybe a little rooster trying to crow? But the girls do it too...
    BTW welcome to BYC! Check out the "Articles" for all the how-to's. Good luck!

5. thytay&chickenmomma

May 23, 2017
    NC
    Thank you for your replies!!! I feel less stressed about her now, I was so worried something was wrong since I am new to chickens & no clue what is or is not normal. She is still doing it today too, but still acting just fine otherwise. I will just keep an eye on her. Thanks again!

6. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2017
    If it makes you feel better, I had one with a respiratory infection, and this was NOT one of the many sickly noises it made.

7. thytay&chickenmomma

May 23, 2017
    NC

Yes, that makes me feel much better as that was exactly what I was worried about, that she had some respiratory infection starting. Thank you!

8. Abriana

Abriana Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2017
    From my blue coop
    Probably just her adult voice. Sounds cute.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by