New chicken mom here, is this normal hen sound or not?

thytay&chickenmomma

In the Brooder
May 23, 2017
NC
I am new to the forum & a new chicken mom too. I have read & learned a lot from these forums & now find a need to post a question for help. I have a hen who is 10-12 weeks old I think, best I can calculate since I got her from Rural King on sale because they said they were older & they needed them gone & simply told me they were anywhere from 1 to several weeks old. Yesterday, 5-22-17, she started making a constant slow cluck type sound & I am unsure if it is normal or something wrong with her. None of the other chickens are doing it & she never did it prior to yesterday & today. I tried videoing her doing it.
She is drinking, eating, & pooing all normal. No discharge from eyes or nostrils. On medicated chicken starter, is not free range due to too many wild animals that could harm them. I give them electrolytes & probiotics in their water. Otherwise acting fine. Any help? I have never owned chickens or even been around chickens until these girls. I started with 12 Rhode Island Reds & ISA Browns, & then loved them so much went & got 12 more 2 weeks later. But I am totally knew to owning chickens & learning as I go, worried for my girl. I appreciate any advice, opinions, or help. Thanks.

Yes it's just the voice changing, very cute! Maybe a little rooster trying to crow? But the girls do it too...
BTW welcome to BYC! Check out the "Articles" for all the how-to's. Good luck!

Thank you for your replies!!! I feel less stressed about her now, I was so worried something was wrong since I am new to chickens & no clue what is or is not normal. She is still doing it today too, but still acting just fine otherwise. I will just keep an eye on her. Thanks again!

If it makes you feel better, I had one with a respiratory infection, and this was NOT one of the many sickly noises it made.

Yes, that makes me feel much better as that was exactly what I was worried about, that she had some respiratory infection starting. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom