New Chicken Mom Looking for Guidance!

lodom23

Hatching
May 23, 2018
Milwaukee, WI
Hi all!
I am new to owning chicks and hoping to acquire some advice.
City of Milwaukee ordinance states that we must have at least 16 sq. ft., living space per chicken. This can included the run as well as the coop (as Milwaukee also says coop cannot be larger than 50 sq. ft.)
With that said, I am wondering if anyone has suggestions for DIY coops that can withstand WI winters, keep predators out, and potentially hold up to 4 hens?
We are planning on just keeping bantams, but still have to abide by the sq. ft. rules established by the city in order to obtain our permit.
I've scoured this webpage and others getting ideas, however, all the information out there is a bit overwhelming. I've heard terrible things about pre fab coops so have recruited some friends to help build, just need a solid plan!
Thanks in advance for any & all advice!

--Overwhelmed & Excited Newbie

I bought wood storage sheds and converted them to coops. Works great for keeping out predators. Yes..the pre-fab are flimsy..wood iS very thin..waste of money! Also..use hardware fabric..as opposed to chicken wire..its predator proof. There are tons of designs on etsy.

I bought wood storage sheds and converted them to coops. Works great for keeping out predators. Yes..the pre-fab are flimsy..wood iS very thin..waste of money! Also..use hardware fabric..as opposed to chicken wire..its predator proof. There are tons of designs on etsy.
I've read conflicting info on hardware fabric in regard to the floor of the run. With the DL method, can you use hardware fabric within the bottom of the run and around the perimeter, and then layer your organic material? We have a problem already with chipmunks that dig so I just worry that we will have little critters trying to come in from underneath.

My chicken sheds have wood floors...i have all the predators, coyote, fox, coon,possum, skunk, etc. So I choose wood sheds with floors that I lock down birds at night and nothing gets in. For the fencing we use for the run..we use hardware fabric..as most predators can chew through chicken wire. I think it's preference for what people use for flooring..chickens spend a considerable amount of time digging/scratching through thier bedding...so...i would bury it deep enough that they don't get thier toe nail caught in it if you use deep litter method. Keep in mind..anywhere you put organic material..if chickens can get to it..they will dig it up. We free range some of our birds during the day...whatever flower beds we had got all dug up! Chickens love munched areas..

A Quaker style coop is strong, and stands up to the elements. It’s what I have. I have a small “urban flock”.
With an attached run.

You could allow freeranging under supervision a few hours a day but know that freeranging even a handful of chickens al day everyday will convert your lush lawn and gardens to a poop studded moonscape in less than a year.

This spring we decided to take back our yard and deck and designated just a portion of our yard to the girls by confining them to a 12x90 area along the back of the yard where there is plenty of shade. So far so good.

Welcome! I'd buy or build a garden shed with modifications for your birds. More windows/ hardware cloth covered openings, especially on the south side, and up near the roof.
A concrete floor, or footings, will keep out digging critters very well. Or, a hardware cloth apron around the outside. Having a dirt floor is fine, as long as nothing can dig in.
Fix any drainage issues first, so there won't be water standing in the coop or run.
Don't use chicken wire!!!
Chickens are fun! What kinds are you going to have?
Mary

Back
Top Bottom