New Chicken Mom

Morning8

In the Brooder
Jun 10, 2019
Suburb of Chicago Southwest
Hello all you chicken lovers! We got our 4 chickens about 3 months ago. Ive got a beautiful mix and they are such a delight to care for! My question is at what point do they begin to lay eggs? what should I watch for and I currently have the egg box covered and was wondering when i should open it for access? Also, today they are not coming out of their roost area in the coop and I thought this might be an indication for egg-laying? Thanks in advance for any help/advice for this newbie!

Hello! Welcome to BYC! I’m fairly new to chickens also but I can give you my best advise. If you’re wandering when they’ll lay, it depends on the breed. Hybrids lay at around 23 weeks of age. Where as heritage birds take a little longer. For their nesting boxes, I’d advise to use wood shavings. They won’t eat it and it won’t mold like straw does. If they’re sitting in their nesting box, it’s a good chance they’re learning where to lay. If they lay their eggs outside of the nesting box, buy some fake eggs and put them in the boxes to let them know where to lay. I hope this answered everything you needed to know!

Last edited:
On average most chickens will start laying somewhere between 18-22 weeks. Some may start to lay earlier, and some a little later. But you can expect to find wonderful fresh eggs roughly around this time :celebrate

Hello! Welcome to BYC! I’m fairly new to chickens also but I can give you my best advise. If you’re wandering when they’ll lay, it depends on the breed. Hybrids lay at around 23 weeks of age. Where as heritage birds take a little longer. For their nesting boxes, I’d advise to use wood shavings. They won’t eat it and it won’t mold like straw does. If they’re sitting in their nesting box, it’s a good chance they’re learning where to lay. If they lay their eggs outside of the nesting box, buy some fake eggs and put them in the boxes to let them know where to lay. I hope this answered everything you needed to know!
Thank you for those ideas!

How old are they now?

If they're already roosting reliably you can go ahead and uncover the nest boxes now.

What you should look for are noticeably reddening, plumping combs and wattles. Some of them may squat for you (if you reach towards them like you're going to pet them, they'll spread their wings a little and lower their bodies). Squatting for me has been the best predictor - all my birds started laying within 7-14 days after their first squat.

How old are they now?

If they're already roosting reliably you can go ahead and uncover the nest boxes now.

What you should look for are noticeably reddening, plumping combs and wattles. Some of them may squat for you (if you reach towards them like you're going to pet them, they'll spread their wings a little and lower their bodies). Squatting for me has been the best predictor - all my birds started laying within 7-14 days after their first squat.
Thank you for sharing your insights!

Also, today they are not coming out of their roost area in the coop and I thought this might be an indication for egg-laying? Thanks in advance for any help/advice for this newbie!
How old are your birds?
Onset of lay for most breeds is 18-28 weeks, high production layers might start earlier...other might be later.
What breeds do you have?

Opening nests by about 14 weeks is good, that way you can 'train' them to not sleep in them before the eggs come. Roosts(where they sleep) should be higher than the nests.
Are they sleeping in the roosts?

Here's some more tips on how to tell.....
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Oh, and.....Welcome to BYC! @Morning8
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-6-11_8-36-56.png

Back
Top Bottom