mommachick5

In the Brooder
Mar 11, 2018
Ohio
Hi everyone- My husband and I recently bought a small farm (32 acres) in Ohio. He was raised in the country and I wasn't. So I am learning everything I can, I am a reader and studier, so it's been fun.

We got 10 chicks last week and have been keeping them in a big container (I think you call that a brooder, but not sure...hahaha) with heat lamp the past week. It was really cold in Ohio, so we actually brought the brooder in our mud room (don't laugh)....I was worried about the little buggers freezing out there. What low temp is ok to move them outside still in the container with the heat lamp? Also, how long do they need the heat lamp? When can they go in our little free range pen (with elec fence to keep out coyotes and stuff) and be ok?

We want to feed them organic and not sure why to buy the next bag of feed for that? Or if they are free range do we not feed them a lot extra??? DUH !

Is there a good book someone can recommend that will answer a lot of my questions...because I have way more !!!

Thanks everyone - I really am learning a lot from this forum and the web - I really appreciate the help to a total novice !!!

Hi everyone- My husband and I recently bought a small farm (32 acres) in Ohio. He was raised in the country and I wasn't. So I am learning everything I can, I am a reader and studier, so it's been fun.

We got 10 chicks last week and have been keeping them in a big container (I think you call that a brooder, but not sure...hahaha) with heat lamp the past week. It was really cold in Ohio, so we actually brought the brooder in our mud room (don't laugh)....I was worried about the little buggers freezing out there. What low temp is ok to move them outside still in the container with the heat lamp? Also, how long do they need the heat lamp? When can they go in our little free range pen (with elec fence to keep out coyotes and stuff) and be ok?

We want to feed them organic and not sure why to buy the next bag of feed for that? Or if they are free range do we not feed them a lot extra??? DUH !

Is there a good book someone can recommend that will answer a lot of my questions...because I have way more !!!

Thanks everyone - I really am learning a lot from this forum and the web - I really appreciate the help to a total novice !!!
:welcome

Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

You did good by keeping your chicks in doors. Chicks need constant heat until the age of 5 weeks when they are fully feathered. Start day old chicks around 90 degrees, lowering the heat by 5 degrees each week until room temp. If it's still cold at week 5 and you want to get them outside, take the heat lamp out with them, set up in the corner to use at night only. They can choose to use it or not. By the age of 8 weeks, they can pretty much tolerate all cold temps without dying. Just make SURE the lamp is permanently attached to the ceiling or wall so it can't fall and start a fire.

You can get them out for field trips any time now, 50 to 60 degree days, no wind. Helps them adjust to new surroundings. Start with 10 mins and work them up. They stress easily at first and can chill. Watch them carefully or sit with them the entire time. Chicks love to get into trouble. LOL

You can start in with treats around 6 weeks. Keep them on Starter feed until around 5 or so months or when they start laying. Then feed layer feed.

BYC is your best source for the info. Welcome to our roost! :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom