New chicken owner needs advice-why are my chickens dying?

hhmmm I am now wondering if water is an issue here. My hubby and I were gone for a week and our daughter was caring for them, Im thinking its doubtful that the water was changed every day :-(
Start with treating them for cocci.

Get 20% corid powder and give it to them in water: 1.5tsp per gallon for 5 days. Make a fresh batch each day. After the first treatment course, give them 3/4tsp per gallon for another 5 days--this helps the chickens build up resistance.

Give them b vitamins after the two treatments.

Best!

Doubtful on the water situation, I guess toxic algae or bacteria could develop, but it takes a longer than a day or two. If your water is visibly nasty or has colorful algea in it I might think of that as a possibility, but I see my chickens drinking out of all sorts of things on the farm and it hasn't killed them yet. ie.. stagnant rainwater, puddles, I saw some drink my dog's pee, YUCK! The rooster excitedly called the hens over. Lordy...whatever. I do physically clean each waterer at least once a week and I change coop water generally on a daily basis of course, but what I am trying to say is that changing water every other day is most likely not your problem. It is a lot more likely they had/have something...likely cocci as mentioned above.

Lisa

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with starting treatment for coccidia with Amprol (Corid). They also would not have died from not having their water changed daily. However if they ran out of water that could do some damage.

I agree with starting treatment for coccidia with Amprol (Corid). They also would not have died from not having their water changed daily. However if they ran out of water that could do some damage.
X2. It does sound like it could be Coccidiosis.

The dosage for Corid liquid is two teaspoons per gallon of water, and the dosage for the powder is about 1 teaspoon per gallon. Give Corid for five days.

Back
Top Bottom