New chicken owner, Sunshine Coast, Australia

TimOShea

In the Brooder
5 Years
Hi everyone!

My name is Tim, I live in the Sunshine Coast Hinterland in Queensland, Australia.

I’ve been a forum lurker for the past few weeks, since my wife and I decided to keep some chickens. We thought it would be a great experience for our three children (2, 3 and 5), as well as provide some eggs.

I converted an existing aviary into a coop, it’s around 25 square feet, and built a run around it that’s about 20’x15’. The aviary is predator proof, but the run is not, it has no overhead protection, but we expect the chickens will spend most days free ranging around out acreage and go but in the coop at night. Here’s a pic of the run, sorry it’s not embedded, I’ll work out how to do that soon! I’m not a very good DIYer, so I’m fairly pleased with the result! http://instagram.com/p/sYP9t1nX5E/

Anyway, we’d planned on getting some pullets (maybe 4) next month, but it turns out my wife had the opportunity to take eight 1 week old chicks today, and purchased an appropriate brooders starters kit. So I guess as soon as I return home from work tonight I’m a chicken owner.

I’ll let everyone know how is goes, in the meantime I’m off to browse the forum!

Tim

G'day - we have a large aussie community here at BYC and a thread called "Australia, six states and one funny little Island." in case you get homesick.

Actually free ranging isn't predator proof either, so you have to expect some losses.

So glad you joined the flock
wee.gif

G'day and welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I took a look at your coop and run and it looks very nice. It probably wouldn't be that much trouble and expense to cover the top of the run for the sake of added security. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. What kind of chicks did your wife end up getting?

Back
Top Bottom