New chicken...quarantined & sick?

dmbjamn4u

Hatching
Mar 27, 2016
We decided to add 3 new chickens to our flock. We have had them for 3 days. They are quarantined and one of them has a cough, and isn't acting like a chicken. She just stands in one spot, occasionally moves, rarely pecks, but I have seen her drink. We are fairly new to this and I feel totally lost and confused about what to do for her. Should we give her antibotics? Should we seperate her from the other 2 chickens? Any advice is greatly appreciated...thanks

We decided to add 3 new chickens to our flock. We have had them for 3 days. They are quarantined and one of them has a cough, and isn't acting like a chicken. She just stands in one spot, occasionally moves, rarely pecks, but I have seen her drink. We are fairly new to this and I feel totally lost and confused about what to do for her. Should we give her antibotics? Should we seperate her from the other 2 chickens? Any advice is greatly appreciated...thanks
How old are they?
Coughing is a sign of respiratory illness. Any sign of nasal/eye discharge?
The other 2 birds that are quarantined with the sick one are already exposed. Hopefully they are all housed far away from your existing flock.
Birds with respiratory disease are considered carriers for life, so whatever they have is shed in the poo, dander and dust they create, even when they are "symptom" free.

Antibiotics can sometimes give relief and help with secondary infections. You may want to have her tested to confirm exactly what she has.

You will want to keep her hydrated, a sick bird will need encouragement. Also boost her protein by offering eggs, tuna, mackerel or meat.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

There are no other signs of her being sick except her lethargy. She just stands around. I will try more protein and keep her hydrated. I read Pedia lite works, ever heard this? Thanks for your help!

There are no other signs of her being sick except her lethargy. She just stands around. I will try more protein and keep her hydrated. I read Pedia lite works, ever heard this? Thanks for your help!

You can give her a small amount of Pedialyte for a day or so. Plain fresh water or water some poultry vitamins may also be beneficial for a couple of days.

How old is she?

I had this exact same situation earlier this year. Let me tell you what I did and what I would do if i could do it over again. I bought a 8 month old hen off KSL. A few days after I got her home she started coughing, had a swollen eye, was lethargic and not eating or drinking much. I researched respiratory infections and decided to treat with antibiotics. A week later she was looking great and all symptoms were gone. I gave it a few more days to make sure then put her in with my flock. Two weeks later she was sick again and the rest of my birds started showing symptoms. She got so bad I had to put her down. Over a few months most of the birds she was exposed to were sick and a few died. It took me months to get this illness cleared up and the infected birds are most likely carriers now for life. If I could go back and do it over again, I would make the hard decision and cull the sick bird, saving my flock from illness and me a lot of heartache. You should research mycoplasma and infectious bronchitis before you decide what to do. I'm sorry you have to deal with this. People who knowingly sell sick bird make me sick!

Back
Top Bottom