New Chicken ?s

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mjdtexan, Oct 23, 2009.

1. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    Hi

Last year I ordered 20 sex link chicks. Now its time to order 20 more chicks. I want

5 Ameraucanas Pullets
    5 Ideal 236 Pullets
    5 Buff Orpington Pullets
    5 Black Langshan Pullets

Once its time to intergrate them into general population will there be any issues with the different breeds? I know I will probably have the occasional issue just from intergrating them but is there anything special that I need to know?

¿Que?

Thanks in advance.

2. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    Noboby? ¿Que no?

3. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    No one else answered so I will - I would wait till they are big enough to be out of the brooder and depending on how you keep your chickens have things they can use to get away from bigger chickens by running behind.

Or you can add them at night to the roosts and have special cabbage or something nice and treaty hanging to confuse the others from remembering the chicken next to me is a newby.

I have two coops and keep the younger ones in the other coop but I let them all out to range together each day and the coops are side by side. Eventually I plan to add one chicken in with the bigger girls and even out the numbers but the little ones are really close to each other. The big girls do tend to chase the smaller ones and pluck feathers but I stay out of it. No one has been hurt so far.
    Caroline
    Jax FL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by