new chicken tractor

j0n

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 29, 2011
Roswell, GA
I'm new to chickens and the forum, but I thought I'd post the pictures of the chicken tractor I just built. I used plans from http://www.catawbacoops.com with some modifications. I used cedar so it was kind of expensive, about $350 for the wood and another $50 in hardware/screws/stain/etc. Here are a few pics:

Started building:

5654621040_ed54a2e3f2.jpg

Under construction:

5654623256_066eee1f29.jpg

Mostly done:

5654049897_e37f431521.jpg

Inside view:

5669486372_6932530cd4.jpg

I'm just using some nylon rope to pull the ramp/door up, but I'll probably have to replace that with something a little sturdier, maybe some galvanized cable.

Outside:

5669486976_5c09993988.jpg

Happy chickens!

5668916139_7160756f9e.jpg

The full set of pictures is at http://www.flickr.com/photos/jon30350/sets/72157626451429655/ if you want to see the whole construction process.

I just put the chickens in there last night (they're about 6 weeks old). They didn't figure out how to use the ramp and they were all huddled together on the ground when it got dark, so I moved them up to the top manually. I also put some wood shavings in there because they were cold. They slept huddling in one of the nest boxes, but hopefully they don't make a habit of sleeping there.

So far it seems like they enjoy hanging out upstairs than they do playing in the grass. I extracted them from the top (ok, I reached in and pushed them down the hole...), but after a few minutes they all went back up. Oh well, they'll figure it out eventually.

My next plan is to make a skirt to put around the tractor to keep predators out so I can leave their ramp down when I go out of town.

i had to teach my girls how to use the ramp on my ark (similar to yours but purchased, not beautifully handcrafted). it took about three days of putting them up at night and shoving them down the ramp in the morning, but they got the hang of it.

Quote:
Nope, they'll be full-sized chickens when they grow up. The golden one is a Golden Laced Wyandotte. I also have a Silver Laced Wyandotte and a Buff Brahma.

Very nice Jon! Can you tell me what you plan to do to prevent predators? How will the skirt thing work? I am planning on purchasing a similar commercially produced coop and was planning on attaching a wire frame to the base.

Back
Top Bottom