New chickens aren't laying

ashley12

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 27, 2009
Kentucky
I bought two Buff Cochin Bantams two days ago and they haven't laid an egg yet. They are a little over a year old, and the guy that I bought them off of showed me their eggs that they laid that day. So I know they are, or at least were laying. I understand that they might be stressed from the move, but when should I see some eggs?

He had them in a tiny cage, so they don't know how to act in my coop and run. They act like they have never seen a nest box or a roost. You should see they rolling in the grass. They are having a ball.

PS I'm feeding the same stuff that he was.

Let them chill out and relax for a week, maybe two.

Adult hens and older pullets always seem to stop laying for a while when they're under stress. A move is one source of stress. So is a major change in the flock or ongoing storms or bad weather. Fear and egg laying don't seem to go together, and the older the bird is, the more susceptible she is to that sort of thing. I think the length of time they stop laying might be proportionate to the amount of stress they're under, but I'm not sure.

i was in the same place just a few days ago. i got my hens that were already laying one week ago today. it took a few days before they really started laying ok. but the only problem that i'm having is they lay there eggs any where but the nesting boxes. it takes time but they will start laying. good luck.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom