New Chickens getting killed and eaten - do chickens eat each other?

clewcrew

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 30, 2013
York County, SC
I introduced 3 new chickens into my backyard (now have 8). I have found two of the new chickens dead and eaten. Is is possible the established chickens are not only killing the new chickens, but eating them as well? I have never lost chickens before.

Are you sure it's not a predator that is eatting them? Do your old chickens have blood on their faces and beaks? I've never had a chicken eat another chicken before. What did the bodies look like when you found them? Are they in a coop at night and shut up good or did this happen during the day when they were free ranging.

Patty

The chickens are being killed in broad daylight. The meat of the chicken is pretty much devoured. I haven't checked the condition of the other chickens as to whether they have blood on their faces (will do).

I have an "scare" Owl, CD's and decent foliage cover. As stated, until I introduced the new Yellow Pullets (3 of them), I have not lost a chicken for the past several years - 5 Black Marans.

Perhaps, the Black Marans are camouflaged better (dark colors, blending in with the darker green foliage)? I haven't had a problem with Hawks with the chickens. I would think if it was a fox, coyote, or something else (cat) it would be hunting at night.

Perplexed!

Leah

Foxes and coyotes could be hunting during the day this time of year. Their babies are getting bigger and hungrier so they hunt day and night.

Perhaps, the Black Marans are camouflaged better (dark colors, blending in with the darker green foliage)? I haven't had a problem with Hawks with the chickens. I would think if it was a fox, coyote, or something else (cat) it would be hunting at night. 

Perplexed!

Leah

I absolutely believe that light color chickens are at a disadvantage to predators. They've been the first ones picked off in my flock. Your older chickens are not killing or eating them. More than likely hawk. They tend to eat where they kill because the hen is too large to fly off with. Dogs, coyote or fox take their kill than eat it.

I live in a neighborhood of 1-2 acre lots. My yard and neighbors yards are all fenced in. I let my chickens out of the coop at daylight (~6:30AM) and return them to the coop at dark. I found the dead/eaten chicken carcass at 2:0PM (after coming home from church).

Curious: could it be the fact they are yellow (Buff Orphingtons) makes them more visible to hawks than my black (marans), which I had never lost to a predator?

Back
Top Bottom