New chickens with runny noses

brettzim

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 21, 2008
We just got two young hens yesterday (about 2 months old). We put them in the coop, separated from our older hens (5 1/2 month). At night we put them all on the same roost (the new ones were not close to the older ones though). This morning when I went to check on them, the youngsters both are sneezing and one has snot bubbles in her nose. I separated them, put them into a pet carrier in the house and replaced the food and water (cleaned out the water bucket). I'm going to clean out the whole coop later this morning.

Now, I have the two sickos inside. They both have hefty appetites and clear eyes. The weather has been miserable here lately (super windy and lots of rain and pretty cold) if that has anything to do with it. I read through the message board and added apple cider vinegar to their water. I've also read that yogurt and garlic are good to help with sickness.

I know there could be a lot of different things that are making them sneeze. I don't want to just start medicating them for the sake of giving them some sort of meds. But, any additional advice is appreciated.

I will take them to the vet if necessary but I would prefer more affordable options if they are just as viable.

Last edited:
smile.png
Hi. Congrats on your two new chickies. I think the people on here say that you should keep them quarentined for at least two weeks before integrating them into your flock. I personally have had little chickies with runny noses and sneezing. I did not post on here, I just waited to see what would happen, AFTER I thought about all the things that I may have did wrong. I just waited and it went away. I, like you, do not like to medicate if not needed. I would do exactly as you are doing......washing everything, checking bedding, vitamins (if you have them, yogurt, hard-boiled eggs. See if anything else happens. I hope not tho. Maybe a tempurature change caused this? Mine are three months old and still ok. Maybe some one else will know better. Good luck.

Last edited:
Be aware that for some of the diseases that can produce those symptoms, the chickens remain carriers for life and could pass it on to the rest of your flock even once they *seem* to have recovered.

Without a positive diagnosis (and having it turn out to be something they can TOTALLY recover from and not be contagious), it's really a cr*pshoot.

Sorry, good luck,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom