new chicks.. again.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mo puff, Mar 19, 2015.

1. mo puff

mo puff Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2011
    well, my older girls are going to live on a farm so I can get new babies. I will have time to get the coop cleaned up and ready while the new ones are in the brooder, [another question about that]. HOW CLEAN do I have to make the coop? Sure, I will scrape out all the old poop and hay. I will wash the windows and pressure wash, possibly. BUT I was wondering if I need to bleach it down or how to sanitize for the new babes going in. OR!? Is it actually good for them to have a little of the old [3 hens] "bacteria/cooties" in there? It was so long ago that I brooded my first 3 , I don't remember how long they were in there before they went into the larger coop. Can I put the babies in the large coop right away.. if I lock them into the coop, so they can not get into the run?? AND, my idea was to put our large white rabbit into the coop so I could use the rabbit hutch as the brooder. The hutch also has an outside area. is it too early for them to be able to climb a "ladder" to go in and out of the hutch or should I just make sure they stay in the enclosed part of the hutch? Too many weirdly worded questions.. I hope some one can make sense of them! Thanks to any who dare!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  2. mo puff

Sep 14, 2011
    I will be getting one baby tomorrow and the other 2 on the 27th... is that a problem that they wont all be together from the start?

3. brotchicks

brotchicks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2015
    NY
    It shouldn't be that much of an issue of they are about the same age. But you do want to make sure that the one chick doesn't get lonely. If it does try adding a stuffed animal or a mirror even. Hope they do good! I am getting 25 on Monday!!!![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. mo puff

Sep 14, 2011
    WOW 25!!! That's amazing! I don't know what I would do with all the eggs! 3 hens keep us w/ plenty to eat. So how clean do I need to make the coop?
    and .. Here in Florida it is in the 80s daytime. Do I still need to have the heat lamp on in there? They will be outside unless I change my mind and just get a big cardboard box to brood them in.
    Thanks for the advise Brotchicks! Oh and I think I will go ahead and get 2 first and then wait for the third girl. That way no one is a lone. Its just that the Maran will be here Friday and the astralorp wont come till the 27th... BUT that doesn't mean I can find a single to keep the Maran company till then. I need 3 anyway... I wonder what breeds they will have.. I will just keep my fingers crossed that there is another breed I want. No RI, I heard they can be mean?!

5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    A week age diff shouldn't be a problem, though the first chick will be double the size of the new ones in just one week. It will be quite lonely until the others arrive, though, peeping loudly, trying to locate other chicks it naturally craves for company and heat.

Try looking into the "chick cave" heating method using a heating pad, discussed on this forum. It might be exactly the thing you need to get the lone chick through its first week, and yes, it can go right into the coop with this heating method.

A lone chick will need a lot of attention from you for that first week, and sometimes a beanie baby plush toy might help. Also a mirror. It should be so happy to see the new chicks, it won't bully them but may "mother" them instead.

A little leftover bacteria from the previous chickens may help immunize the new chicks during their first week and should be beneficial.

6. mo puff

Sep 14, 2011
    Azygous, thanks for the bacteria/coop clean info. I thought I heard something about it long ago but wasn't in the frame of mind to remember. OH YEAH!! The feed store just called and said the astralorps are in!!!! Gotta go first thing in the morning!

7. brotchicks

brotchicks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2015
    NY
    @mo puff lol! We aren't keeping all 25, we are are gIcing most of them to our friends[​IMG]

8. mo puff

Sep 14, 2011
    [​IMG] I couldn't wait till tomorrow. I went and picked up the Astralorp and also a Golden Comet. Meet Elly Mae and Sophia! They are both eating and drinking so I feel comfortable going to sleep now.
    strolorp and also a Golden Comet. Meet Elly Mae and Sophia!

9. mo puff

Sep 14, 2011
    Thanks everyone!

10. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    Those chicks are probably 3 days old so...
    Yes, you need to make a reasonable effort to clean the old poop from the coop & hutch. Pecking & eating poop is what spreads disease and parasites that can linger in old poop for months.
    Yes, they need an enclosed area, 2 lone 3 day old won't survive long unsupervised/unconfined. Getting lost, wet, cold, eaten by snakes, rats, cats, large birds etc.
    Yes, they need a light for heat. Not a light like they use to keep the burgers hot at McD's, being in a rabbit hutch in FLA @ 80* probably a regular 60w bulb in your brooder lamp about 6" off the floor will be be fine.
    No, they're too little to climb a ladder to the hutch. They won't get the urge to roost till about 4-5 weeks old.
    Hope that helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by