new chicks cant walk

jstan

In the Brooder
Jun 17, 2015
I bought several jumbo cornish chicks for meat, i found blood in stool and treated for that. now i have had 3-4 that cant walk and seem to have trouble with thier balance even laying down. thet didnt eat for or drink for 3-4 days and i still have to take them to water and feed. they will eat and drink as long as i hold them and put them at feed and water. I know they are easy to have problems due to the rapid growth but but it has only been a few of them. any ideas, they have been on antibiotics and electrolytes for few days now. they are more alert but still will not stand up.

How old are they? Did your electrolytes include vitamins and some probiotics? That can help build up the gut bacteria. You may also want to post this in the meat bird thread. Go up to Forum at the top of the page, and scroll down to meat birds.

Poultry vitamins are usually included in most electrolyte powders. Vitamins can help replace what is lost during a cocci infection.

The antibiotic, i have seen a few that were "sneezing" i guess. Im its normal but i hardley ever see any of my birds doing it. And with the otheres getting sick and the dry dusty air lately it was more precauitionary is case some were getting respitory infection. Thanks everyone for any help

I assumed that you were using Sulmet or Sulfadimethoxine ,which are sulfa antibiotics for the possible coccidiosis. Corid treats more strains.

I used corid for the coccidiosis, but the other bag said hydrocloride sulfate or something to that effect, i dont have it in front of me. Ill look when i get home and post it

Back
Top Bottom