AddiesDidi1

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 12, 2012
Hello-
I will be having new Chicks on Sunday
they have been in an Incubator for the past 17 days- I have ordered a Brooder-
I have a Few question?
1. What type of Feed should I use for the New Chicks?
2. I have also read that new Chicks need Vaccination? The eggs come from Chickens that we have on our Farm that we were given from a Friend. Assorted types-How will I know which chicks need vaccines? or when do I give the vaccine? Where do you purchase the Vaccine?
3. At what age do you put the chicks with the older chicks?
Thank you so much for your help.

First of all...
welcome-byc.gif

1. What type of Feed should I use for the New Chicks?
I use 18% protein Medicated Chick Starter for the first 6 weeks

2. I have also read that new Chicks need Vaccination?
Usually hatcheries vaccinate meat birds or other birds shipped in large quantities. If you are hatching birds on a small scale as a hobby, you don't need to vaccinate them. I never do it. There's really no need..

3. At what age do you put the chicks with the older chicks?
I put my babies in with the big girls at about 7-8 weeks old when they are fully feathered, and don't need heat anymore. They will always stay together as a small flock and are so cute to see out there with the big girls :D

I hope this helped!

Congrats on your soon to be new babies.

I feed my babies organic chick start because it doesn't have soy in it, I put organic apple cidar vinegar in their water.

I do not vaccinate my chicks. For me personally, I want a naturally resistant and strong flock. It is a choice each person needs to make for themselves. I do let people know that my chicks are not vaccinated when they enquire to purchase.

I put 1 week old babies in a brooder with babies up to 1 month. I have several pens of babies from 1 week to 1 month growing out at the same time. When they are about 6 to 8 weeks old I will combine them all into 1 grow out pen.

I don't put babies with adult untill they are close to 5 months old.

Just my little ole way of doing things. I hatch between 25 and 100 chicks per week year round successfully.

Lanae

Back
Top Bottom