new chicks from the feed store - no clue breed/variety

bkvail

Songster
10 Years
Mar 9, 2009
Skagit County, NW Washington
OK, I have no control. I picked up some turkeys yesterday (4 BBB for meat birds) and on my way home, I stopped at the feed store to get a new waterer, and saw the bins of pullets and couldn't resist. The bin I got two chicks from was listed as ''banty and misc.'' or something to that effect. I picked the two I thought were the prettiest - and they were also probably the smallest. There is this one:
mysterychick.jpg

If this color was on a rabbit, I'd call it 'cream', but I'm betting it will be quite a bit different as it loses it's baby fluff - doesn't yellow on a chick turn white as it ages? So, it might be a really light blue color when it's adult?

The other one looks similar, except instead of that blue cast all over, it has a blue stripe down it's head/back and it's wing feathers are mottled in blue.

It's probably impossible to tell at this age, I understand that. Maybe someone could tell what variety (color) they will be at least?

Karin

I was really HOPING for an Easter Egger! I am crossing my fingers that is what she and the other are
smile.png

I am going to try to tame these two - I have some Welsummer's that I got from a breeder, and while they hang out when you are outside, they don't want you closer than 5' from them - they are curious, but not friendly. They are pretty birds, but I'd rather have ones that eat out of my hand and let me pet them. The only time I can touch the welsummer's is when they are roosted for the night! then, they are not happy about it at all.

eechick1at1month.jpg

eechick2at1month.jpg

OK, I'm *hoping* that they are pullets and not cockerels..... can you tell at this young age? They are about a month old I think? The second one has the curly feathers at the cheeks like an Ameraucana, the first one doesn't.

So, they are blue splash?

(The second one was standing under the red heat lamp, so he looks brownish, but he's just blue/white, maybe with a slight hint of tan, but not as much as it appears in the pic

Last edited:
The first one is deffinitely a splash, or blue splash as some call it. I am not sure of the second one. It might be self blue or lavender, or could be porcelain, it's hard to tell with the red light tint on it. I don't think that one is splash though, I don't see any 'splashes' on it. I would think the first chick's legs are slate, not green, and would bet it is probably an OEGB. If you could get a better pic of the second one, that would be helpful.
smile.png

And judging by the combs, which doesn't say much at this age, I would say #1 is a girl and #2 is a boy
smile.png

eechick2at1month2.jpg

eechicksat1month.jpg

OK, I was wrong! It isn't the red light afterall - he *IS* tan-ish looking even with the normal lights........
Both of them in first pic, him (?) alone in second pic. Actually I don't even know for sure they are EE's! They were mystery chicks in a banty ''mix'' deal at the feed store - The blue splash to me the legs looks greenish though - I'm assuming slate would mean gray? The tanish one has more orange/gray legs..... I believe the splash one is the chick I first pictured too (hard to keep them straight in with the turkeys!)

Back
Top Bottom