New chicks in the house?????

chickenmom1

Songster
9 Years
Jan 29, 2010
Okay,
It is very cold here in New Jersey and I have 30 babies coming in two weeks. If I put them in the dining room, are they going to permanently stink up my house?
J

I have a combined dozen or so Cutornix and Chicken chicks here. Cleaning Every-single-day is the key to keeping the smell down. Otherwise........
sickbyc.gif

I agree, the smell is not bad at all if you stay on top of cleaning but the dust gets terrible as they get older and more active.

Take it from me- you don't want those babies in the house longer than about 3 days. After that, the stench becomes horrible- and the dust is unbelievable.

The stench you can work at avoiding by changing the litter more frequently etc., but the dust is just unavoidable.

Soooooo, I would highly recommend a brooder-type hutch with a top (ventilated) in your garage, and check the temperatures to make sure you can achieve 90-95 degrees with no draft for the first week.

If you cannot achieve such temps in your garage, then you would have to keep them in the house. Also be soooo careful with the heat lamps. Secure them two ways (not dependent on the clamp) because of the risk of fire.

Personally I use 100 watt bulbs - two or three lamps clustered together as necessary to achieve the perfect temps. I had a heat lamp explode once when I was running it outside under a tarp during the rain. Fortunately the glass shards missed the chicks, but did land in the brooder.

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKRaisingChicks.html
http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/chickcare.html
Here are two good websites on baby chicks (you might know all this already though).

Last edited:
I had 30 and yes, they did smell and the dust...WOW!!
barnie.gif

No, the smell was not permanant but my wife and family were not happy with the clean up of said room!
hugs.gif

Yes, it WILL be worth it in the long run. Congratulations!!

I am amazed so many folks seem to "jump the gun" a wee bit, in their excitement, to order chicks in January. Winter type weather could hang on through March. Those chicks will huge by the end of March. Just sayin'. Yes, the dust is unholy. You've time to build an insulated box, 4 x8 at least. Have an insulated top as well. Simple design, as it won't be permanent. That way, you could brood them in the garage?
Of course, your box design cannot be completely air tight, on top, and shouldn't be, as they'll need air exchange, but it should hold heat plenty well enough. Cardboard or plywood on the inside, with rigid foam boards on the outside. It'll work and good luck with your chicks.

Back
Top Bottom