new chicks with the old flock ???? help

jokker1978

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 29, 2009
I just got home from a camping trip and we now have some baby chicks . The hen is crazy i cant get close to her to see how many there is . the chicks cant get out of the hen house so i know i will have to put food and water in there for them and i will have to build a ramp for them to get in and out of the house . should i just take them and raise them are should i let her ? i know it is neat watching a hen with all of her little chics behind her . i just dont want to lose any . these are the first ones that can from our farm

i just dont know what to do

tygab

Songster
11 Years
Mar 14, 2008
MA/NH border
Are there other hens nearby who could hurt the chicks? Or roosters?
If not, I say build the ramp and let her raise them. She is the natural mom, after all.

Congrats on your new chicks!

jokker1978

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 29, 2009
yeah they are in the 8 by 8 hen house that is in the 50 by 50 pen . all the other chickens are there

firedove

Songster
11 Years
Nov 10, 2008
Fitzwilliam NH
If your hen isn't having any trouble defending her chicks from the other hens or roo yet she probably wont. It sounds like you have plenty of room for your chickens to get away from each other. Make sure your hen has a safe place to sleep with the chicks and build a ramp. Also make sure that the chicks won't fit out of the pen wire. If they get separated from mom they are a tempting snack for any predator, even a domestic cat.

Latest posts

Top Bottom