New chicks

duck rookie

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 30, 2012
Apparently the "missing chicken" that I thought a predator had gotten wasn't missing. She came back with three chicks! They are adorable... however.. I do not know how this works?? She won't go in the coop with the other chickens and didn't go back to her nest either. She sat with babies under her outside the coop. So I took a dog house and picked up mom and three chicks and put them in there with food and water. There is a gate from an old dog kennel in the doorway so predators cant harm them. Can I let mom and babies out without harming them from the other flock? Will the other chickens hurt her and/or her babies?

Well if the mother can take care of them well then she will protect them from other chickens. You can try to let her with the flock but she might continue to back away from the flock. Putting her in a coop with other fully grown chickens might be a bad idea because its in a enclosed space and she cant do much protection in there. But maybe if the other chickens see that she is tending for them, they might see the chicks as one of their own. It honestly could go either way.

This happened to us.... yestersday she emerged with 3 fluffy chicks... Was wondering the same thing to put them in the coop with the others... don't know... what to do... Our chickens are mellow... they didn't bug her and her babies while they were out today...

Back
Top Bottom