New Compound--Phase 2 COMPLETED!!!!

CoyoteMagic

RIP ?-2014
12 Years
Apr 20, 2007
only the shadow knows.....
I say "compound" as it's going to be more than one coop and different areas for each one. I got gifted with a 10x10 chainlink dog kennel. I've already got one, plus 2 more panels to expand it. If it weren't raining I'd take pictures to better explain what I am doing.

I've taken the 4 panels from the kennel and the 2 extra panels to create a 10x20 main run. I will take the other 10x10 kennel and attach to the side of the one created. This kennel is divided into 2 5x10 mini runs, each with it's own access door. One of these has a whole that I put in it so the chickens could access it 24/7 I will make a door that I can close separating the 2 if needed. The center divider has a hole in the fence too that will get a door. I split the sides so I could raise chicks on one side and my bigger girls on the other and then provide a place for the little ones to get into but not the big ones while they got used to each other.

IF I can find one more panel, I will be able to make one more 10x10 run off the main run.

I will be using the following as coops for different chickens.

Coop 1

ltimagfront.jpg

Coop 2

ltyellowcotdoor.jpg

Coop 3

tikes.jpg

I got all 3 for maybe $200 from craigslist.

Now if it will stop raining so I can get back on the job!!!

ETA--This will be a Quail Tractor

P9090226.jpg

Last edited:
We spent part of the day working on the run. I've got 3 1/2 sides up.

1659_run.jpg

The pvc pipe you see is to help support the wire that is going on top to keep critters out. I know I'll probably have to replace it, but it was free. Only thing I bought was the T's. I've also got some pipe that is going kitty-corner at the back corners. I'm covering the top with 2x4 fencing wire that was part of the old run. We are moving the 10x10 dog run into the open spot tomorrow.

1659_new_coop.jpg

This is the house that will be going on the front side of this run. 2 sides of this are open with no shutters. One will go up against the run.That side also has a pop hole already in it! I'm thinking that instead of trying to cover the window with plastic I will just use a heavy cloth curtain for the winters.

1659_4holer.jpg

On the other open side I will mount a 4 holer. It was a 10 holer but I broke it down to 2-4holders to fit in the playhouses. I will then use some larger shutters to close it up. I'm shutters will allow for ventilation. They will be on hinges so that I can access the nest box from outside. I'm also hoping to make a feeder out of larger PVC pipe that will fit in the corner and be under the nestboxes.

1659_broomhilda.jpg

1659_building_inspec.jpg

Building Inspectors discussing the new build with the Bobwhites who will be moving into the old coop when modified for them. Note the mailboxes in the background. I'm turning those into birdhouses.

1659_pook.jpg

And my fat puppy. She doesn't like the camera pointed at her.

Will post more pics as we go along

thumbsup.gif

I like it.......

thanks for posting, sure gives me ideas, to bad we are snow drifted for another couple of months...
roll.png

hmm.png
lots to think about......

Back
Top Bottom