New Compound--Phase 2 COMPLETED!!!!

You have really been working! I got sick and had to stop on mine for a long time. I tried to do a little today but I will not try that again by myself for a while. Surgery is a bummer. I promised myself no pictures until I was finished with all the paint etc. The mice have tunneled under my outside wire. Tiny little things. Now I want hardware cloth under the entire bottom covered with sand and soil. It will take awhile. If the mice can get in so can the weasels. Shucks ,I just knew they would not be a problem with the 3 stray cats that took up here. I guess I feed them too good. I had some sagging of wire over the runs. The snow built up on them. Also it slid off the roof of the coops onto the end portion. It broke once and was repaired. If I do it again I will use 2x4s on the whole frame area. I guess I left too much of a span.
Hope you are still doing well. Gloria Jean

I guess this is where I should have made my post. I found a play house on craigslist too for twenty dollars. But I'm wondering about the door. It's only a saloon type door that goes up to your waist. How do you think I could mend this thing together to make it into a chicken house.. Sorry I stole the thread, but I sure would like some help. I'm not much of the builder type.
big_smile.png
Thanks so much.
Kind regards,
Rachel

http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/bab/1630876107.html

wow looks good, i never thought of a plactic playhouse as a coop . . . . that might be an inexpensive way to go as i have one handy . . . . cant wait for new pictures:weee
pop.gif

Thanks ya'll. I've got one more house/coop to finish but have until mid April to get that one done. That's when the new babies arrive.

Most of it is done. I cut the wire when I was working on the last coop. I've got big shutters ready to cover the wire in the windows. Those are really helping with ventilation but still allowing the coops to remain warm. I'm keeping the pink and blue shutters that are part of the coop closed for now This helps keep the coops warm. Will be opening those as soon as the nighttime temps keep a constant 60*

The biggest thing I am working on right now is what Fraurloth asked about yesterday. What to do with the half door. I've got the same kind of door on the log cabin playhouse. What I'm thinking is.........................

Frame top part of door with 2x2's. Use 3inch drywall screws to attach it to the exisiting door. Cover it with 1/2 -3/4 inch plywood and extend it down 3 inches over the plastic door that is there. Attach an additional hindge 3/4 of the way up the side. Attach the hasp/lock where the the wood and plastic over lap. Use large screws to hold things tight. I also run a 2x4 along the point where the door closes. This stops it from being pushed in..

What to ya'll think?

Back
Top Bottom