New concern with Gussie's nesting

Callender Girl

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Sep 18, 2018
North Central Iowa
Last night, there were four eggs in Gussie's nest, and for the first time since she started laying (two previous eggs didn't get into the nest), she actually sat on the nest this morning for more than four hours.

I just looked out the window, and not only is she off the nest, it looks like she's building a new nest, outside the goose house in the corner of their small run. She is methodically moving pieces of straw and "choosing" ones she likes.

Can anyone tell me why she's doing this? Any chance she will go back to her eggs?

If she does this just remove the nest outside you want her inside. Is there other birds inside that maybe bothering her? they really like privacy. Could she just be playing around my female will stand and gather things around her but doesn't actually build a nest.

The only other bird that can get to her house is the gander, Golly. Last night, Gussie and Golly were out wading, and I had a chance to sneak in. There were six uncovered eggs. This morning, they both came out for breakfast, but Gussie had covered the eggs first. She is now back on the nest, and Golly is wandering around, honking his head off, like he does whenever she isn't by his side.

Thanks again for advice and reassurance. I need to Just Calm Down. Geese have been hatching goslings forever without my help, and clearly these two know more about the process than I do!

Yes they do I have to remind myself of this every year when breeding and laying gets here. She may only lay 6 and go broody or she may put a few more in there first. Sounds like it’s getting close. And of course Golly will want to be by her side through it all. Excited for you.

Back
Top Bottom