New Coop Advice

The inside is fairly large. I got it on sale in a pinch-I took in a rooster who was dumped on my property. Then got a few hens because why not? The 3 that were in there slept comfortably with room to spare. I don't have any problem closing it in though. My only concern is having enough room to be happy. They love the free range obviously but I live on 6 acres with 2 farms on either side and a 500 acre park across the street so lots of predators

The inside is fairly large. I got it on sale in a pinch-I took in a rooster who was dumped on my property. Then got a few hens because why not? The 3 that were in there slept comfortably with room to spare. I don't have any problem closing it in though. My only concern is having enough room to be happy. They love the free range obviously but I live on 6 acres with 2 farms on either side and a 500 acre park across the street so lots of predators
3 is probably max it would shelter healthily...especially in your winters.
Check this out: Fantastic treatise to help decide how much SPACE your chickens need.

I haven't but just looked up to see what it was. Looks like a great idea. I'm going to see what I can come up with and if it's cheaper and easier I'll do that!

Having built several coops and runs I totally recommend a cattle panel hoop run now. The shape lends itself nicely to putting a tarp on so snow will slide off easily.

I have seen many prefab coops. Not worth 50 bucks in my opinion. The number of birds they say they can hold is never going to work if one wants happy birds.
I have built a couple coops for people near me that needed to replace the expensive prefab ones they bought.

For the breeds listed a 4x6 raised coop would work. The birds wont mind if they get a 4x8 though.

We took in a group of hens in need last spring. This coop is 6x8. The only "savings" on the structure was the ONE less sheet of siding and four less 2x4's it took. Space dictated the size of it. Hoop run is due to underground electric line. Now I prefer the hoop run over a square flat topped one.

Having built several coops and runs I totally recommend a cattle panel hoop run now. The shape lends itself nicely to putting a tarp on so snow will slide off easily.

I have seen many prefab coops. Not worth 50 bucks in my opinion. The number of birds they say they can hold is never going to work if one wants happy birds.
I have built a couple coops for people near me that needed to replace the expensive prefab ones they bought.

For the breeds listed a 4x6 raised coop would work. The birds wont mind if they get a 4x8 though.

We took in a group of hens in need last spring. This coop is 6x8. The only "savings" on the structure was the ONE less sheet of siding and four less 2x4's it took. Space dictated the size of it. Hoop run is due to underground electric line. Now I prefer the hoop run over a square flat topped one.

Looks good. To help future builders of something like this, what are the dimensions of the hoop run base? It matters as the width of the base determines the height of the run. Can you show detailed pictures of how you did the corners and secured the wires. Devil is always in the details!

Also, when a person goes shopping for their hoops, they will encounter options. Our local farm and home and even TSC will have as many as 5 or 6 options to choose from. This one looks like it was made from the least expensive of them all. One described as "cattle panels" of the type that have even spaced openings. Some "livestock" panels have variable spacing, with closer slots down low for baby pigs and such. Some are also 50 inches and some are 5' or 60 inches. It all matters as the price can vary as much as 2X to 3X per panel, depending on which one you bring home. They will ride in the back of a standard bed pickup, but it helps if you have some 12' long lumber beneath them to support the floppy end.

Lastly, these work like a sheet of paper, which is floppy and has no structure at all, until you put a bend in it. Put a bend in it as tight as shown in this photo and it becomes so stiff and rigid you could probably walk on it.

Good point.

Yes these are the less costly "hog" panels. They measured 20' long and 50" wide. We put together two of them to make a small run measuring 8' wide by 9' deep and standing just a bit over 6' tall. The base is 2x6 lumber cut to the 9' length. The wire is held together using hog rings for the panels and j clips to hook the chicken wire together.
I put 2x2's along the outside to more securely attach the chicken wire to the 2x6's. Simple plumbing strapping was used to secure the hog panels to the inside of the 2x6 lumber.

Steps in order...
1. Get supplies together near planned site.
2. Build base frame.
3. Hook one edge of the panel into the frame and walk the other end toward the frame. It will arch up as you walk.
4. Repeat #3 until all the panels are arched into place.
5. Secure the panels together and to the frame.
6. Cover with the wire mesh of your choosing. Make sure to attach the mesh to the hog panels so no gaps remain.
7. Build the end frame and door.
8. Cover end frame with mesh.
9. Cover door with mesh and hang door.
10. Add chickens!

Good point.

Yes these are the less costly "hog" panels. They measured 20' long and 50" wide. We put together two of them to make a small run measuring 8' wide by 9' deep and standing just a bit over 6' tall. The base is 2x6 lumber cut to the 9' length. The wire is held together using hog rings for the panels and j clips to hook the chicken wire together.
I put 2x2's along the outside to more securely attach the chicken wire to the 2x6's. Simple plumbing strapping was used to secure the hog panels to the inside of the 2x6 lumber.

Steps in order...
1. Get supplies together near planned site.
2. Build base frame.
3. Hook one edge of the panel into the frame and walk the other end toward the frame. It will arch up as you walk.
4. Repeat #3 until all the panels are arched into place.
5. Secure the panels together and to the frame.
6. Cover with the wire mesh of your choosing. Make sure to attach the mesh to the hog panels so no gaps remain.
7. Build the end frame and door.
8. Cover end frame with mesh.
9. Cover door with mesh and hang door.
10. Add chickens!
Hog panels are only 34" and have smaller rod spacing, making them much stiffer and heavier, and little more costly than the cattle panels.
I made this out of hog panels https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/aarts-hoop-coop-chicken-tractor

Used cattle panels for the next one, no documentation yet, and they were 52" but much 'floppier'.
Haven't got the HC on it yet, but threw up a tarp and with 8' wide framing the snow stuck, it started to bow it and it had to be cleared off.

Back
Top Bottom