New Coop and Run Finished!

owlsayshoo

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2017
We're first-time chicken owners and spent lots of time researching the best way to create a safe space for the hens. We purchased a custom-built 4'x8' coop from a local, reputable company and then built the run ourselves. The run is 8'x8' (the chickens will also have access underneath the coop), with three sides enclosed in hardware cloth (actually, the bottom 4' on each side is covered with a double layer of hardware cloth). The roof is a double layer of poultry netting. The floor is also completely enclosed with hardware cloth, then covered with 2" of pea gravel and 3" of washed construction sand. We're planning to get some deep litter going as the seasons change. All lumber is pressure treated so it'll need to breathe for a few months, but eventually it'll all be painted white to match the trim on the coop.

IMG_2959.JPG
IMG_2961.JPG

Hopefully this keeps all the critters out!!

The frame of the run is for sure Built like a tank! What you got over those windows on the coop---can't really tell? I am sure they will have to be open the warmer times of the year.

I just built a new 6000 sqft run today---well this afternoon. Got it finished and waiting for dark to move the 3 month old chickens into a coop I moved into that run. The coop has a 210sgft run attached with it that has a wire covered top. I will let them out of it into the 6000sgft 6ft high fenced in area I built this afternoon to some-what free range.

Good eye! I'm not actually sure what's over the window now, it seems like generic screening material. We'll be adding hardware cloth reinforcement before the girls move in. And ha, yes, the frame is definitely built like a tank! We get lots of snow and the last thing we need is a run that collapses before Christmas!

I love your run! We're in mid-build of our coop inside a partially covered dog run. I figure that the full run will be alright for now, but I'm going to want to expand on it, and yours looks perfect! You're giving me ideas!! lol

I love your coop! you didn't' draw up any plans that you could share, did you?

Unfortunately we bought the coop from an amazing company called Coops for a Cause in New Hampshire. If you're remotely local to them, I highly suggest giving them a look!

I do have the plans for the run, though, if anyone is interested!

Riverman, looks like you have quite a set up for lots of chickens. Definitely a dog run would be strong and have a re-sale value. Me a few chicks in a city neighborhood, per code max is 5. I have a park behind my house and lots of coons, other critters, little shade in my backyard and many hot humid days in the summer. So coop needs to keep chick out of reach of paws and be securely covered and withstand our insane winds.

So coop needs to keep chick out of reach of paws and be securely covered and withstand our insane winds.
I totally understand. Not knocking no ones run---just sharing another idea that some might not think about. I raise 1000's of chicks and the chick pens are lined inside with extra wire so the chicks can not go through the chain-link wire. As well as no coop is close to the wire. Chicks are closed up in the coops at night.

The frame of the run is for sure Built like a tank! What you got over those windows on the coop---can't really tell? I am sure they will have to be open the warmer times of the year.

I just built a new 6000 sqft run today---well this afternoon. Got it finished and waiting for dark to move the 3 month old chickens into a coop I moved into that run. The coop has a 210sgft run attached with it that has a wire covered top. I will let them out of it into the 6000sgft 6ft high fenced in area I built this afternoon to some-what free range.

Back
Top Bottom