New coop-chickens won't go outside. HELP!

tnapier6

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 5, 2010
Indiana
We moved our 6 week old chickens to their new coop. The coop is on stilts with a door in the floor and a ramp going down to the ground. They're all reluctant to use it and I'm not sure if I should put a group of them down on the ramp or just wait for them all to just figure it out. It seems like they're not getting it on their own.

I ask because I left the door open all day yesterday and they didn't figure it out. I'm new to raising chickens and I am LOVING it. Suggestions welcome! Thanks in advance.
smile.png

It's really up to you. They are scared right now. If you leave them alone eventually they will get brave and try it on their own could be a few days.

If you start taking them out and leaving treats down for them and spending time with them in the run area it will be faster, but expect to have to put them to bed every night, because for the most part if they didn't come down the ramp on their own, they aren't going back in on their own either.

It took my ladies a few days to muster up the courage to venture out of doors when I first opened the run. If they still haven't ventured out after a couple of days, perhaps you could lure them out with a treat
clap.gif

Or maybe even carry one out and set them down outside
idunno.gif

If they are used to you bringing them treats, and you have a call for them (or get them used to the sound of treats rattling in a bowl or can or something), then you can use that to lure 'em outside.

Then once they are out of the coop, scatter the goodies on the ground in the run.

You may have to carry them back to the coop at night, but maybe not, since they obviously already know it's safe there.

How steep is the ramp? Babies get concerned if it's quite a drop, as do some adults. My ramp is less than 45 degrees but my adults still use caution going down it and they've been using it for nine months.

Welcome again, Mary

Quote:
Good idea. Maybe I'm being too impatient, but it's been nearly a WEEK! Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
I think I'm going to have to take them out because they don't seem to be figuring it out after nearly a week. I'm anxious to see them scratch dirt instead of their coop floor!

put your babies in the coop and feed them. eventually put the food outside till they go down the ramp. If that doesnt work keep trying it, good lucck
celebrate.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom