New coop... input? criticizm?

bradrenea

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 19, 2008
Branson Missouri
I just finished my coop/run. I am new to chickens so I would like some input.
It is 4x8, not counting the enclosed area, which is 2x4. The north and west walls are solid, as that is where the cold wind usually blows from here, the south and east are chicken wire to allow sun and ventilation. The roof of the enclosed area is hinged to allow access to the eggs, and I used clear skylight material to cover it so I can check for snakes and such before opening it. There are two nest boxes in there.
I have five Barred Rock hens that will be free ranged during the day. I am wondering if I need a door on the enclosed area to shut them up in there at night, or should I let them roam between both areas as they choose? Is the ramp necessary, or could I get by with moving the roosting ladder a little closer to the door for them to use? It seems like the ramp takes up a lot of space, which is limited already.
Any input is appreciated.
100_1093.jpg

100_1089.jpg

100_1091.jpg

Wow! Now that's a nice coop!

no criticism from moi
smile.png

I am also planning on using clear covering on part of my coop.

NICE!!!

the only thing id say is that can anything did under neath it to get ur birds?

Is that the strong kind of chicken wire? Predators can often rip apart the weak kind. I'm just a little worried because you won't have anything but the wire between something like a fox and your roosting birds.

Otherwise, the design is really great! I love the metal roofing.

Quote:
I have not got that far yet.... I am planning on staking down some heavy landscaping timbers around the border. As it is now, they would have to dig fairly deep, as there is a 2x4 frame all the way around it. They would have to dig out enough to get under that.

Quote:
I don't know the difference between the two, but it does not look very thick. I do have a 150 lb St Bernard though.... he does a pretty good job keeping the critters away.

Thanks for all the compliments. I just went out to check on the birds and they are already lined up on the roost, and I just finished it two hours ago!

Quote:
That's the result of my wife dropping our brand new digital camera lens first onto a pile of rocks. Now all of our pictures have "spirits".
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom