New coop. Let the fun begin!

I think they need way more than 12" per bird roost space, so the birds have space to fly up there and get comfortable, and sort out their favorite spots to roost. Mary
Using a poop board can make the 12" per bird work just fine,
as it's easier to get up onto roost.
But you're correct, they need space to get up there....
....once again a 'rule of thumb' does not take into consideration variables that might be present.

Looks great Toothpick! How deep is that area with the poop board? Is it deep enough you can stagger 2 roosts -- one a bit higher and farther back than the other? Also, the framing along top back will get roosted on as well -- seems to be the favorite spot for some of my chickens. Luckily, the poop sweeps right off.
It's roughly 19 inches deep. I don't think that's enough for 2 boards. Depending on which way they roost the poop would land on the floor. There's room to build a second roost. Or I may come up with another idea. I kinda don't want the whole inside roosts and nest boxes. But I suppose it's for the chickens, not me!

I put down the Black Jack 57. Two coats. Easy peasy! Hopefully it does it's job. I let it set for roughly 4 days then put pine shavings in the coop about 2" deep. Food. Water. And then added the chicks! I put a light up to give them light during the day and for a little bit at night. Then the heat lamp in the corner. With a plastic tub next to it for them to get in and out of and block some of the draft.

They've been out there for a couple hours and I just checked on them. Some were eating, some were drinking, some were under the lamp. Woo!

Still have to make the roosts and nest boxes. I'm also going to add a couple windows at some point for more daylight. But for now I put up some chicken wire across the doors So I can leave them open during the day for light.

IMG_5004.JPG

IMG_5005.JPG

IMG_5007.JPG

That looks AWESOME !!
I was going to do that with Lowes but they wanted 4 feet between fence and shed. I don't have that room.
That's what the guy said when he showed up. But he said 3 feet. It's my fence and my pasture. The fence is just the typical cattle fence. I don't know why the big deal about being 3 feet from the fence but that worka for me because I want to be able to walk around and mow around it

IMG_4943.JPG

Just added a poop board for the roost. It's 30" off floor and roughly 20" wide. Roost bar will be roughly 6" higher. Think one bar across is enough for 20 chickens? I doubt they will all be up there at once.

Back
Top Bottom