New duck can't walk

Cyprus

Master of the 'never give up' attitude
Jan 19, 2018
My Coop
My Coop
I just got this girl yesterday, and know nothing about her. Previous owner informed me the day of pickup that she had a limp, which her husband only noticed when he caught her for us. Yesterday, she could walk at least somewhat. Today, she can only drag herself on her stomach before falling forward on her beak and sitting on top of her legs. She tries to use her wings for balance.

She isn't super tame, I can only catch her because she's lame. Vet isn't an option. What might I be able to do for her?

I was not the one picking her up, but I was told the ducks were being kept in a shed with no pool or access to a body of water anywhere.

Yes, she has angel wing which I also don't know what to do about. I read this could be a parasite or nutrition problem. She hatched in April.

There was another duck I got with her, who is fine. I have not seen them eat yet, despite access to food. Tried to check crop, but I honestly know nothing about ducks and have no clue if I was doing that right :oops: She is also really light. Maybe 2 pounds max?

20190814_113539_wm.jpg
20190814_110856_wm.jpg

She might have a vitamin deficiency. I’d make sure she’s getting niacin and a good quality duck or waterfowl feed.

As for angle wing, you can try taping her wings down with some painters tape for a few days. It might help get them back into place.
Do you have an example of how I'm to tape them? I'll give the new ducks Niacin tonight.

Hmm, I might have a picture of my duck when I taped her.
34DC4AF3-3D73-4DF3-A951-F5E1DCE65783.jpeg

Sorry it’s the only picture I have. I used painters tape and wrapped it around her body and wings to keep them to her side. Then I covered that with vet wrap to keep everything steady.

Did that for a couple days, 3-4 and her wings had corrected much better by then.

Hmm, I might have a picture of my duck when I taped her. View attachment 1877722
Sorry it’s the only picture I have. I used painters tape and wrapped it around her body and wings to keep them to her side. Then I covered that with vet wrap to keep everything steady.

Did that for a couple days, 3-4 and her wings had corrected much better by then.
Okay, thanks. I think we have painter's tape, but no VetWrap. I'll see if my family wants to do that.

Looks too old to correct angel wing. Possibly head injury due to be crested.
That's kinda what I was thinking. Previous owner told me she started acting off after the pool water was changed (apparently, they did have a pool somewhere). She said they get really excited over it, and maybe she hurt herself from the excitement.

That's kinda what I was thinking. Previous owner told me she started acting off after the pool water was changed (apparently, they did have a pool somewhere). She said they get really excited over it, and maybe she hurt herself from the excitement.
I'm thinking Drake injury and being crested a blow to the head can cause severe injury..

Back
Top Bottom