Beccatrix

Songster
Nov 28, 2021
Wisconsin
Hello! After spending the last few days doing reading in books and online, I have a few questions about prepping for our spring arrivals. I'm in Wisconsin.

Our birds will be all female; pets, layers, and garden keepers. We have 13.5 acres, primarily wooded besides the gardens. 2 acres are marsh and we have a .5 acre natural pond. They'll be supervised when foraging due to local feral cats.

I'm planning on 8-10 medium weight ducks and 4 geese; insulated and wired shed at 5'/duck and 10'/goose with a connected 300 sq ft run with 1/4" wiring 6 sides. Is it ok to leave them constant access to both (maybe build a small duck door with a flap?)? Due to work, we are not morning people, and I'd hate for them to miss winter sunlight hours, but I don't want them to get cold.

What is your favorite stock tank with a plug? How many 50 gallon tubs for 12-14 birds? Can these be a part of their 300 square feet?

How do people control algae in these? I was reading about goldfish, but wouldn't they eat them?

Does anyone use tank water on flower gardens? I'd be hesitant to use it on my garden beds as a potential "hot," and due to sanitation.

Any suggestions on managing feed differences in ducks and geese for different laying seasons?

How early can you start no water overnight once they're out of their brooder? If we leave things open to the run, we'd do heated water bowls and tank heaters.

What's the recommended brooder size for 14 ducklings/goslings? I'm unsure of chick to duck ratios.

Do ducks make good foragers of flower gardens as well as veggies? I need to do more reading on what's toxic to them.

If their run and house are by the garden, and they get supervised foraging, if I can train them to take trips with me down to our pond (it's much further away on the acreage), is random foraging in the pond (duck weed, tadpoles, etc) going to upset their GI?

I'd welcome your favorite first aid kit ideas! Local vet sources are scarce and backed up.

Links to your favorite gear, feed, and enrichment would be appreciated!

What do you put in their run to not have mud? What about duck specific plants?

Thanks in advance! I have lots to learn!

Does anyone use tank water on flower gardens? I'd be hesitant to use it on my garden beds as a potential "hot," and due to sanitation.
Yes, duck poo is not hot since it's already watered down. My garden flowers have never looked better.
Any suggestions on managing feed differences in ducks and geese for different laying seasons?
I would suggest an all flock. I don't have geese, but have looked into getting them, they are big on eating grass.
How early can you start no water overnight once they're out of their brooder? If we leave things open to the run, we'd do heated water bowls and tank heaters.
I started no water overnight as soon as they were out of the brooder.

How do people control algae in these?
I don't have a filter, so empty mine weekly. I scrub with a bit of vinegar.
Do ducks make good foragers of flower gardens as well as veggies? I need to do more reading on what's toxic to them.
Depending on breed, they are good foragers, but they can and will eat some plants.

I'm sure others will be along to add to this. I would suggest storeys guide on raising ducks and also geese. There is a goose forum here. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/geese.47/
And a sticky in the duck forum worth reading: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/ducks-sticky-topics-index.256233/
First aid kit: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/suggestions-for-a-first-aid-kit-updated-8-01-2020.1150128/
A lot of people ooh and ah over ducklings (and other animals) then make impulse purchases before researching. Its refreshing to see someone researching 1st. :welcome

Ducks do make great foragers. Their are some places where they use runners to keep pests off the crops. However, I have watched my Muscovy hop up and pluck the grapes I off my grape vine 😒. I didn't get any grapes off of one vine...

They are pretty good on eating a diverse set of food. A lot of ducks are used to a changing diet, especially for free ranging ducks. What is available constantly changes.

In the pond, you may want to learn about potential predators. Snapping turtles have injured many waterfowls. I don't have them where I live, but I hear about them all the time on the forum.

For my ducks, I use an automatic door, so it lets them out in the morning. I always put them to bed myself and head count. But the automatic door is great, because I can sleep in if I need to.

As for first aid, I highly recommend getting feeding tube supplies. They are the one thing that can be difficult to get when you desperately need it. Otherwise, most things you can easily get and will slowly build up your stock of first aid supplies. I tend to mostly use bacatracin, hydrocortisone, and an antibiotic.

Depending on the breed you get, you will want to supplement their naicin levels. For example, Pekin require the most amount of naicin compared to any breed. Brewers yeast, nutritional yeast, or vitamins b complex have been used to supplement naicin levels.

Ducks do make great foragers. Their are some places where they use runners to keep pests off the crops. However, I have watched my Muscovy hop up and pluck the grapes I off my grape vine 😒. I didn't get any grapes off of one vine...

For my ducks, I use an automatic door, so it lets them out in the morning. I always put them to bed myself and head count. But the automatic door is great, because I can sleep in if I need to.
Thanks for the tips and info! We are currently covered in wild grape vine (aggressive, not invasive), so I'm hoping they can help kill off the spread over time! Although I keep having fantasies of frost wine 😂 They're so tiny though.

Do you have a preferred brand for the door?

I don't have a filter, so empty mine weekly. I scrub with a bit of vinegar.

A lot of people ooh and ah over ducklings (and other animals) then make impulse purchases before researching. Its refreshing to see someone researching 1st. :welcome
Thanks for all of the help! I read Storey's over the holiday weekend, and did ALL the highlights!

I'm pretty excited to learn duck isn't hot compost! With our new property, I'm putting in a new quarter acre flower garden over the next few years, and we do Mel's Mix for veggies.

I'm still on the search for a good tank and filter combo! It might push us to housing them at the pond and using heated buckets in winter.

And thanks! After being a 4Her and rescuing house buns as an adult, I've learned that there is a lot of misinformation available. We'll have plenty of surprises, I'm sure, but I'd like to be prepared!

Thanks for the tips and info! We are currently covered in wild grape vine (aggressive, not invasive), so I'm hoping they can help kill off the spread over time! Although I keep having fantasies of frost wine 😂 They're so tiny though.

Do you have a preferred brand for the door?
I have an ador automatic door. A lot of people like the omlet door as well. I went with the ador because I wanted a bigger door. They make a turkey door, the ador2, which I liked better. My ducks dont have to duck their heads to go into the coop. I have had a minor issue with it opening on its own when it shouldn't, but I am fairly certain I have solved the problem. I believe both the doors are reviewed here on the site, and people have been highly satisfied with both.

My dh put a faucet in this one so when I want to empty all I have to do is turn on the faucet.
The fence is so they use the only way out since they are prone
3E035C6F-A775-4C79-A288-26FDA5CEBE11.jpeg
to jump on the side and off which can cause injury.

Back
Top Bottom