1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New duck owner needs help!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by charnolie87, Jul 17, 2016.

1. charnolie87

charnolie87 New Egg

Jul 17, 2016
    East Tennessee
    So I just purchased my first duck yesterday from the co-op in town. It is a black Indian runner baby duck. I'm not really sure as to how to take care of it. I understand it needs a lot of water and I have been making sure his water stays clean. He also is eating the chick feed that the co-op recommended. Other than that, I'm not really sure what all my baby duck needs. Help please!!!

2. RachG75

RachG75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2016
    Central Illinois
    there's a great thread right now about ultimate list of duck treats and supplements. Ducks do need extra niacin above what's in a starter chick crumble. Adding brewer's yeast is a good thing for ducks; just sprinkle it on the food. Some questions:
    !) What exactly is the food the co-op recommended? It should be unmedicated; double-check that.
    2) Did they tell you how old it is? Can you snap a pic if you don't know?
    3) What kind of housing are you using or planning to use? Do you need help with that too?
    4) Are you willing to get a second duck? Ducks are social animals and really should be kept with atleast one buddy.
    5) Do you know the sex?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by