New ducklings!

QuackSpeak

Songster
Jan 1, 2017
Hello! Today we go three ducklings from the Post Office: One Welsh Harlequin, one Cayuga, and one Blue Swedish, all girls. I left for school, and during that time, my dad got a phone call! The ducklings were delivered one day late though, and the Blue Swedish didn't make it. My dad did all that he could, and spoon fed her food, water, and GroGel. But she was just so tired, and eventually went to sleep. She never woke up.

The Cayuga and Welsh Harlequin, however, are happy and energetic. They peep and poop and eat and drink. They love to follow the mouse on my computer screen! The Welsh Harlequin seems to be more dominant of the two; she leads the Cayuga around and is bigger. Here are pictures:

All three duckies. The one in the corner, the unnamed Blue Swedish, didn't make it. Rest In Peace.

Those are the ducks! They're currently three days old, as they were hatched on April 3. We're trying to come up with names... Does the yellow one look like an Ellie?
tongue.png
This thread is here to document their growth and progress. Hope you love them as much as I do!

Last edited:
The lady who bought Lydia the other night introduced her to her Bantam Ducklings and it was as if she was always there....They are a bit older than Lydia too....It works with Ducklings....The more the merrier!..
wink.png

I am not sure I said this yet?......I love Ducks....

They will join as one group easily when young. I had 3 ducklings alone for one week till my order of 10 arrived. They joined the same day, the first 3 show no favoritism to each other at all.

This is reassuring! Although I'm not ultimately sure that we'll be getting two more ducks. It's my parent's decision.. I honestly don't know. Three was the perfect number for us, and now we're not sure. Glad we have these two though!

We have to remember animals don't show pain like us humans, and I'd say she is in pain.  Not putting weight on her leg for one.  and not pushing back. When you lay her on her back for just a sec. and pull gently both legs down straight do you notice anything different with the injured one? Best i know to do is let her rest and move around in the brooder only. Try not to make her get up an move let her decide  what she wants to do but do give her warm water therapy at least a couple times a day.  Even if she only floats the warm water will keep her muscles relaxed.  Like I said leg injuries sprains etc take a while to heal maybe a week or longer. But if you notice any change in appetite or her showing no interest in her sis then time to get to a vet. or even now if parents are in agreement. I'd hate to say yes let her get over it and something be seriously wrong. you all are there and see what she is doing.  Duckling have soft bones when young so hopefully this is just a sprain and she'll bounce back quick. 

1f44d-1f3fb.png

Yes i was a vet tech for 13 years... so seen alot.
By holding up and not walking or putting weight on it. Thats because of pain.
1f614.png

Yes...In 28 days the first Duckling will be huge..;)....The new one will be tiny..:).....The first one by the time the little one is big enough won't really relate to the Duckling..:(

Oh darn. That means I will have to go to the feed store. My husband will be so thrilled (note sarcasm). Let's just hope I only come home with ONE duck!
1f602.png

That's okay, I don't mind! You all should know that ducky pics are always welcome! @hesklj2008 (For some reason my tags aren't working) your duckling sure is adorable! Does he/she have a name? Maybe a Rouen? And chickens really, Bouncer pics are always welcome! :)

In other news, Ellie is pretty much back to normal now! She walks and runs and stands fine, and keeps up with Luna. Her leg slides a bit on slick surfaces, like tile, so I've been avoiding that by putting them down on towels. I'm working with them to come on command. I chopped grapes, called their names, and gave them each a piece of grape. They came running at the end of five minutes, lol! They catch on pretty quick. Now we just have to enforce it. They are swimming now, and making happy peep noises ;)

They’re almost three weeks old! Ellie has brown and white patterns underneath the fluff on her back and her chest is starting to look less yellow :) They are both starting to look more like ducks!
We went outside today, and they dabbled around. They also came when I called, which was nice. If I started walking and calling them, they would follow me, which will be really useful later (Instead of herding them, they can follow us). They both really love dandelions ;) They also are really alert. They look up at the sky when sparrows pass, or airplanes. They catch a lot of the things in the sky quicker than me! I think they’ll spot hawks faster than me too, so I spend a lot of time watching them - if they tilt their heads up, then I take them seriously.
Neither of them really like being held, but both will stand still for petting. They love to play with my hands and hair, and they hate being alone. Luna still cries like an alarm clock. I believe Ellie has joined the dark side, because she has started peeping as well. Little beepers :p
We’ve upgraded their food and water containers to hold more. It’s worked well so far, but we’ll see.
Oh, and their poop has gotten bigger :p

I’m hoping we can avoid the Gingerman stage ;)

@QuackSpeak Awesome to hear about them. Just remember they are still new so they also need their rest. lol
just like a baby nap time in between play time.

I like the name Ellie it's very nice.
I have a lil Black Frizzle hen and her name is Ebony but I call her Ebby.
love.gif
My blk Runners are Kate and DeDe. don't ask my why. Names have never been my best.

As for getting 2 more well that has to be you all's decision especially if you need to expand but can 1 more duck take up that much room in what you already have for them? Will they just be sleeping in it? what is the size of your coop?

@QuackSpeak - While I'm stalking your thread I might as well put my two cents in, you should totally get two more ducks :b

Your little duckies are so cute, they're two peas in a pod. Glad they're both doing good.

Back
Top Bottom