New ducks to old ducks

newbabyducks322

Chirping
May 31, 2016
California
So, my Pekin duck has gotten super sick and is probably going to die soon. That breaks my heart, but I know there is nothing I can do about it. That leaves me with one duck (I originally got two ducks) and she will be alone, so I have to get more ducks for her. Will she be okay being alone for a few months while I am raising the ducklings? How should I introduce them to each other? What if they don't get along? I'd love some advice and help on this situation.

So, my Pekin duck has gotten super sick and is probably going to die soon. That breaks my heart, but I know there is nothing I can do about it. That leaves me with one duck (I originally got two ducks) and she will be alone, so I have to get more ducks for her. Will she be okay being alone for a few months while I am raising the ducklings? How should I introduce them to each other? What if they don't get along? I'd love some advice and help on this situation.
Have you taken your duck to the vet?

Sorry to hear about your duck. :hugs

Ducks mourn and it will probably be very hard for your surviving duck. Getting adult ducks might be a better option. But that might not be possible.

If you go with ducklings I would try to get them as soon as possible. Do as chickens really suggested. First let her see them without being able to get to them. I think starting this part when they are still young might even help her not to feel as lonely. You'll have to gauge her reaction to know when it's time to let them all be together. But be ready to step in if need be.

I'm so sorry to hear that ☹️ I didn't know how long she'd been sick
If you can find one close to yours aged do that, if not just keep her company and get some babies, mine all get along pretty well
It's alright. I'm glad it was quick and painless for her. She was a happy duck. I couldn't find any ducks closer to my other duck's age, so I ordered some ducklings and they will be here in a week. Hoping for the best with these new ducks.

I recently tried to introduce a younger duck to my flock,( 2 females and a drake ) I didn't have much luck, the drake ended up chasing it and biting. I feel so bad for the little one, it's cage is right next to the others but I fear it's lonely

Back
Top Bottom