New Ducks what to feed them?

Quack head

Songster
Jun 20, 2019
Sparta, TN
I am getting four Silver Appleyard in a couple of weeks (2 drakes 2 ducks), they are teenagers and the ducks are just starting to lay, the drakes' head is just starting to change color.

I am planning on free ranging in the back yard which has a 1/2 pond and they will have access. I am planning on locking them in a 8x8 secure pen at night with a nesting box ( 3x3 I assume I need).

I have researched and decided on a 4" pic pipe rigged as an auto feeder. I get confused on what and how to feed them. Some people say non-medicated chicken food with grit, not at all others say only x amount.

Keep in mind, I do mow around the pond but they will have access to an acre of woods and 2 acres around the house of grass.

Any input would be appreciated.

Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

Adding your general location to your profile can help others make the best suggestion possible at a glance. ;)

If you are in the US... my preferred feed for ducks is the Purina Flock Raiser with oyster shell on the side for layers. It has enough niacin for ducks (55mg/kg to avoid leg issues) which many chicken feeds will not. Niacin isn't listed on most feed tags as it isn't required to be listed by law, but I called the company to ask.

While the flock raiser is 20% protein... angel wing has NOT been an issue for the ducks I raised and according to my research is most likely caused by genetics in addition to too much energy from any energy source... whether it's protein, fat, or carbohydrates.

I personally leave feed available all day long and collect at night to avoid rodents. Some folks put out only as much as will be eaten in about 20 minutes and then collect it to avoid other free loaders like song birds and such. They may do this again before lock up. Since you birds will be free range with plenty of access to other feed stuff... seems that whatever feed routine works for YOU should be fine! There is no right or perfect way that suits everybody as we all have different set ups, flock dynamics, weather/pasture conditions, and even feed choice availability.

Hope this helps. :pop

I also feed flock raiser or all flock, depending on which feed store I go to. I provide oyster shell free choice, as well, so that those who need it can take it, but those who don’t aren’t getting it as part of their feed. My ducks have food and water available full time in their secure pen. I don’t put it inside their house, but since the pen is secure, I don’t close the door on their house.

Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

Adding your general location to your profile can help others make the best suggestion possible at a glance. ;)

If you are in the US... my preferred feed for ducks is the Purina Flock Raiser with oyster shell on the side for layers. It has enough niacin for ducks (55mg/kg to avoid leg issues) which many chicken feeds will not. Niacin isn't listed on most feed tags as it isn't required to be listed by law, but I called the company to ask.

While the flock raiser is 20% protein... angel wing has NOT been an issue for the ducks I raised and according to my research is most likely caused by genetics in addition to too much energy from any energy source... whether it's protein, fat, or carbohydrates.

I personally leave feed available all day long and collect at night to avoid rodents. Some folks put out only as much as will be eaten in about 20 minutes and then collect it to avoid other free loaders like song birds and such. They may do this again before lock up. Since you birds will be free range with plenty of access to other feed stuff... seems that whatever feed routine works for YOU should be fine! There is no right or perfect way that suits everybody as we all have different set ups, flock dynamics, weather/pasture conditions, and even feed choice availability.

Hope this helps. :pop
Thank You it does help, I am in Tennessee

Back
Top Bottom