New England area breeders/hatcheries?

Yes, thanks for doing this. Our town doesn't allow roosters so no breeding here, just our 12 girls. We need a stud service! Will subscribe.

Yes, thanks for doing this. Our town doesn't allow roosters so no breeding here, just our 12 girls. We need a stud service! Will subscribe.

No problem! And thanks. And LOL stud service for chickens, love it! That should be a thing, I mean they have stud services for most other animals. And awesome! Hope someone can help you out. Here we have almost 3 acres and are a right to farm community so we technically can have roos but we have neighbors right behind us and I don't wanna bug them. Plus I don't wanna wake up early haha

I'm in Southern Maine, NPIP and I ship eggs, chicks/ducklings/goslings, juvies, and adults when available
I breed (an all are from other breeders or my own lines, no hatchery birds)

Silkie/Sizzle/Showgirls (mainly black, blue and paint but currently growing out other colors to add to the flock)
Naked Necks, standard size

Ancona ducks (all colors)
Call ducks (mainly breed for ancona and magpie pattern in black, blue and chocolate)
Muscovy ducks (mainly breed for barred and ripple patterns in all colors)
Silkie Bantam Ducks

American Buff Geese
Sebastopol Geese (white, lavender and saddleback)
Mini Sebastopol Geese

Hello! Welcome! Sounds like you have a lot of awesome stuff! :)

And I've always been curious, what are geese like? I know it probably depends on both the breed and even more so the individual but I've been fascinated yet equally scared by them... stupid, I know haha

Learycow, where in Maine are you? My brother moved south recently and may be in the market for a few ducks.

Learycow, where in Maine are you? My brother moved south recently and may be in the market for a few ducks.
I'm in Arundel, about 20 minutes south of Portland

Hello! Welcome! Sounds like you have a lot of awesome stuff!
smile.png

And I've always been curious, what are geese like? I know it probably depends on both the breed and even more so the individual but I've been fascinated yet equally scared by them... stupid, I know haha
Geese definitely grow on you. I swore I would never have them...now I can't imagine life without them!
I used to have Toulouse and Pilgrims. The Pilgrims were way too noisy for my liking and the Toulouse I found boring.
I now have American Buffs, Sebastopols, and Mini Sebastopols. They are all keepers, haha. All breeds are fairly calm and quiet. Not the best for protection but that wasn't my goal for them. All three breeds lay a decent number of eggs and all usually go broody for me each spring

Geese definitely grow on you. I swore I would never have them...now I can't imagine life without them!
I used to have Toulouse and Pilgrims. The Pilgrims were way too noisy for my liking and the Toulouse I found boring.
I now have American Buffs, Sebastopols, and Mini Sebastopols. They are all keepers, haha. All breeds are fairly calm and quiet. Not the best for protection but that wasn't my goal for them. All three breeds lay a decent number of eggs and all usually go broody for me each spring

Maybe one day I'll have to try them!! They seem like they could be fun. I actually think it's good they're not very protective as I've heard a few stories of geese attacking people and that's a big part of why I'm terrified of them hahah they seem like cool birds though :)

Maybe one day I'll have to try them!! They seem like they could be fun. I actually think it's good they're not very protective as I've heard a few stories of geese attacking people and that's a big part of why I'm terrified of them hahah they seem like cool birds though
smile.png
Yes, that seems to be a common misconception of geese!
I've had geese for over 7 years now and never been attacked by one. The only time I've ever been bitten is this time of the year. Geese on nests will bite when you go to take eggs (can you blame them?!) and the ganders can get protective over their geese and the nests. So can try to drive you away. But once breeding and nesting season is over, they go back to their calm, usual selves

Back
Top Bottom