New England Coops, what is best R rating for insulation?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kickinchicken, Jul 1, 2010.

1. kickinchicken

kickinchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rhode Island
    I am building my new coop and figured I'd insulate once I got everything done on the outside.
    I was thinking of using that pink foam board but I thing it only has an R rating of 5. It's cheap, but will that be enough? I doubt it. I have a non-cold-hardy hen (a Sultan) and I worry about her being out there in our ridiculous NE winters.

I am in RI, so I am looking for coop owners who are in RI, SE MA or CT to offer what they've done.

Thanks!

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Well [​IMG] from IN!! lol Gonna' say it anyway...I used fiberglass R13...still cheap.

Edited for "duhh"ing...

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  3. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    We are in MA & we put R13 in our new coop. You can't have enuff insulation but you can have too little!

4. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I am in MN and used R-13 as well in our coop. It hasn't seen a winter yet so I can't tell ya how well its gonna work out but we shall see soon enough.

5. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Im in Nh just over the boarder. We used R13. We also put insulation under the floor so their little feet dont get cold lol.... [​IMG] Im a little nervous about winter but i figuere it doesnt drop all at once so little by little they will get used to it. We thought about putting a heat lamp in there, but with all the coop fires lately we decided to hold off.

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    You know what, just do however much seems feasible to you, and it will work out. It is not like you MUST HAVE insulation -- it's just that it makes life a lot more pleasant and easy, and in the case of electric heating also cheaper. So however much you can manage to get in there is good [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

7. 95yj

95yj Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Central Vermont
    insulation? I keep my show old english game bantams in a non insulated coop, and they aren't exactly the toughest birds out their. last winter i didn't give them any heat till it got to one of the coldest nights of the year, when i turned on the light i realized just how much "ventilation" the birds had, cause the light was shining out from everywhere. And i live right up near the NH border, it gets alot colder up here than in RI. But i do commend your efforts to keep your birds warm, i'm sure they'll appreciate it, I am planning on trying to fill most of the cracks before next winter.

8. kickinchicken

Mar 23, 2010
    Rhode Island
    Thanks everyone. Most of my chickens are cold hardy, I just worry about my Sultan....she isn't the fastest bird and she isn't quite with it [​IMG] ...always the last one to "catch on" that the flock has quickly moved away from our 2 year old...always the first to get caught by the 2 year old. [​IMG]
    Oh, and I didn't mean to offend my fellow chicken lovers who aren't in lower New England. [​IMG] I just wanted to see what was working for those in my particular climate. I just love this site and all the wealth of knowledge you all have!
    I think I will go with a MINIMUM of R-13, perhaps R-20. I am doing it all a little at a time to keep the financial blow a little bit spaced out. [​IMG]

9. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Don't worry too much about the cold, make sure they have great ventilation for the winter - I think the insulation works best for the heat of the summer! Because our coop is so well insulated, it's at least 10° cooler inside even on scorching hot days. Chickens suffer more in the heat than in the cold - except for those with huge wattles and combs.

10. kickinchicken

Mar 23, 2010
    Rhode Island
    Well, I guess I need to worry about my SLW roo. His wattles are about an inch long...he's bantam and only 4 months old.
    So, between HIS wattles and my Sultan, I'd better insulate. I will have plenty of ventilation at the top. I also have several windows in the design.
    I will update my page as soon as I get some pics uploaded in my computer.
    I know you all LOVE that!!![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by