New England - Metal roof or no?

Pics

Jaxacat

Chirping
Sep 4, 2019
Vermont
Hi All-

Hoping everyone can help us prevent a mistake before we make it. We are building the following coop, pretty much to a T, with a few changes here or there.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...Rt_7Qpil9MbaOYyYeyC0bbSGDBbMWiMo9-qbgLWTW7tgk

We're getting to the point where we'll be picking up roofing material soon. We are debating on doing a metal roof (good for keeping SNOW in motion and on the ground), or shingles. We are planning on putting plywood over the frame of the roof, and then something on top of that. Is metal a good idea, or bad? Do we need insulation under it, or is the plywood enough? We will have the venting along the roof that is included in the plans, as well as vents cut into the side walls near the top, so we are hoping that will prevent condensation during the cold months. Thoughts? I would hate to buy materials for a roof only to find out we did it wrong.

Both of my chicken coops have metal roofs that work very well, the snow slides right off them.
Edit: I live in New Hampshire

That's definitely why we wanted a metal roof. I just want to make sure we're not going to have condensation issues because of it. We would be putting it over plywood. Is your metal roof over anything, or just on top of the frame? And have you ever noticed condensation or drips?

In one coop I have it over plywood and the other just has beams running vertically and horizontally to support the roof. Both setups work and I have never noticed any condensation or water inside the coops.

How long have you had them? When I was in a colder climate i found that some times of the year were pretty bad, some not a problem at all. In Arkansas spring was the bad time, but that will depend on your moisture and temperatures.

When I was in a colder climate i found that some times of the year were pretty bad, some not a problem at all. In Arkansas spring was the bad time, but that will depend on your moisture and temperatures.
I have been keeping chickens in the first coop for 13 years and about 10 in the other one. It tends to be fairly dry here in the winter, the only time my coops get when is when it floods really badly in the spring.

Hmmm. I wonder if we may have more frequent issues then with a metal roof. We live on a river (there is a steep drop 10-15ft down to it about 15ft past our fenced yard). We don’t have any flooding from it, but it does get very humid at times because of it.

Back
Top Bottom