***New England Winter - Now this is getting stupid***PICS ADDED

Damummis

Chickenista
10 Years
Apr 29, 2009
Mid-Coast
We and most of NE will be hit with a MAJOR STORM

ARE YOU PREPARED?

My only worry is the incubator. Full of eggs. Chance of power outages.
I AM SMARTER THAN A CAVEWOMAN
I can solve this problem, I hope.

Last edited:
Do you have wood heat? or some other way to heat water? Through the ice storm, I heated water on the wood stove, put it in soda bottles and kept putting them in the fish tank or incubater.

It's a southern storm so we are going to be hit with 15 inches! So they say. It just started snowing a few minutes ago.

Good idea with the water bottles.
smile.png
I hope you don't get a power outage. ugh I just moved my car to the end of the driveway, less shoveling for me. At least I can work off some of those cookies
lol.png

BTW - vert - LOVED that photo of your mare! GORGEOUS.

big_smile.png
my day went from crazy worse to bad
big_smile.png
... You getting hit know? they say it's going to start around tonight and then monday for us...

Last edited:
Seems like they are now saying the coastal areas here are going to be hit worse. But we're gonna get enough! 10-16" in some areas with gusty winds. The wind worries me more. Downed trees means power outages. We have heat, but no water when that happens. Guess I'd better make sure the chicken water is full up!

We've had a drifting of snow on the ground so far, and the chickens don't seem to even notice. It'll be interesting to see what happens when we get a lot!

Since my coop is a few acres away from the house, this will stink !!!! Keeping the coop shoveled and making paths to get there......yikes

Being on the mid-coast (read island) we are expecting the worst. I do have a wood stove so heat isn't a problem.
DH just a brilliant idea
ya.gif

We are storing car batteries for clients over the winter, he is going to hook up an inverter so that I can hook the incubator directly to one. Hope it works.

I do feel sorry for you ALL!!! We got an inch here in the no snow zone...I can just imagine what the clouds will dump on you all! STAY WARM!

Yeah, guess i am prepared here.
home oil filled ---check
food---check
chickens got plenty of feed---check
gas in cars---check
gas in tank for snow blower---check
work---waiting for the call to say "not to go in monday"----not check
food at home---check
dogs food---check
rabbit food---check
bird seed for wildbirdies---check
liquor for the adults---check