New flock master.

ConcreteThumb

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 23, 2014
So i have a 12 pack of rainbow layers that are about 9 weeks old. I put them outside in their coop last week which is attached to an 8.5x6.5x4.5 enclosed run.

A few times, ive had to put them into their coop because they were sleeping in the run. They got the idea and go in by themselves.
For the past couple of days, ive been letting them run around my backyard, which hasnt been mowed in about 3 weeks. They absolutely loved it.

The first day, i had to wrangle them in when the sun went down, which was surprisingly easy. Today, they all went back into the run, and into the coop all on their own tonight. I have 2 indoor/outdoor cats which are fascinated and a bit apprehensive about them. Its absolutely hilarious.

Oh, they are not all that impressed with scratch feed, cracked corn, or their crumble feed now that they had a taste of foraging.

Im really enjoying them.

Introduced a couple of my neighbors and their kids to my flock this weekend.
They LOVED them. How could they not?

I love educating people, especially children, where food comes from. The biddies were very well behaved and even let the kids pet them as they ate meal worms from their hands.

Honestly, everyone should grow at least one plant they can eat, and more people should raise chickens. They are as easy to take care of as they are fun to just watch.

My neighbors wander down to watch chicken tv all the time! The girls love going from one to another begging treats! Fun way to get to know the neighbors! !

I agree! They are easy to keep and very fun to watch!
I have a total of 36 and each one seems to have their own funny personality.
Oh! I love them all!! :love

Two years ago, I expanded my run, and installed chairs and stools for people (and chickens) to sit on. Now my friends drop by and they love sitting in the run watching the chickens and shooting the breeze. It's The New Social Thing! Entertainment that can't be beat!

Have you discovered yet how affectionate your chickens are? That's what totally blew me away when I first got chickens - discovering how gentle and sweet they are and that they love to be held close and snuggled!

Some of them are showing their personalities. There are 2 in particular that are friendlier then the others and Barb, the Barred Rock, likes to snuggle when its time for bed. One of the cochins thinks shes the leader, but no one really listens to her. As i handle them more and more, they run away less and are easier to pick up. I bribe them with meal worms.

Now whenever i work in the yard, i collect bugs and put them in a jar to give to the girls instead of smashing them. The biddies go crazy over beetles and grubs. I see things like chemical grub killers in stores and i shutter even more than i used to. I want a grub attractor to put in their run. Heh heh heh.

Back
Top Bottom