New full grown Wyandotte hasn't layed yet

SwansonHomestead

In the Brooder
Feb 2, 2020
Corvallis, MT
So about 2 weeks ago I bought my dream chicken. A splash Blue Laced Red Wyandotte. She's a 2 year old, gorgeous bird. Brought her home and have fed her and have added eggs to the other nesting boxes incase she didn't like the same one as my others. She hasn't layed yet. Should I contact the guy I bought her from and see what's up? Or could her being re-home cause her to stop laying for a bit longer even though it's already been 2 weeks? I really really don't want to have to get rid of her but I can't have her using up valuable space if she's not gonna lay. Help 😩 what would you do if you were me?

Given the relocation coupled with shortened photo period it would be a miracle if she was laying. Be patient - as she adjusts to her new home and day light period increases she will lay.

I guess I totally forgot chickens slow down in the winter. I have one other full grown layer who is also a Wyandotte who is a daily layer still. I know it's not very common but I guess I got used to it 😅 this is my very first time buying a full grown chicken, my others I've raised from chicks so I've never delt with new homing causing stress and causing laying to stop.

I guess I totally forgot chickens slow down in the winter. I have one other full grown layer who is also a Wyandotte who is a daily layer still. I know it's not very common but I guess I got used to it 😅 this is my very first time buying a full grown chicken, my others I've raised from chicks so I've never delt with new homing causing stress and causing laying to stop.

Can we see a picture of this gorgeous lady?

Can we see a picture of this gorgeous lady?

Here she is with my Golden Laced Wyandotte. Not the best pic but she's still a bit timid.

Attachments

• PSX_20200203_175244.jpg
    PSX_20200203_175244.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 16
So about 2 weeks ago I bought my dream chicken. A splash Blue Laced Red Wyandotte. She's a 2 year old, gorgeous bird. Brought her home and have fed her and have added eggs to the other nesting boxes incase she didn't like the same one as my others. She hasn't layed yet. Should I contact the guy I bought her from and see what's up? Or could her being re-home cause her to stop laying for a bit longer even though it's already been 2 weeks? I really really don't want to have to get rid of her but I can't have her using up valuable space if she's not gonna lay. Help 😩 what would you do if you were me?
She's your dream chicken, for her looks I would assume.
So why would you want to get rid of her if she's not laying?
You'll have to decide what's more important to your 'dream'. ;)
You might need more space.....surprised you got her integrated in 2 weeks.

She's pretty pretty for sure, but her 'pale' comb and wattles shows she's not in lay.
I wonder is she almost 3 years old or almost 2 years,
assuming she was hatched during a spring.

The funniest thing ever happened, sorry for the late update guys! An hour after I had posted this she laid! Shes laid 3 eggs so far and her comb is bright red now :) Yes, she is my dream bird because of her looks. I am a Wyandotte lover because they are beautiful and do amazing in my area of Montana with an addition of being duel purpose. I love the Splash laced Reds so much I had to have her. I am in the middle of town so our farm is soooo small that I needed her to have a purpose here, not just look pretty :) very glad she gets to stay. She is actually only a year and 10 months, just rounded up to 2 years.

She's your dream chicken, for her looks I would assume.
So why would you want to get rid of her if she's not laying?
You'll have to decide what's more important to your 'dream'. ;)
You might need more space.....surprised you got her integrated in 2 weeks.

She's pretty pretty for sure, but her 'pale' comb and wattles shows she's not in lay.
I wonder is she almost 3 years old or almost 2 years,
assuming she was hatched during a spring.

Back
Top Bottom