New gamefowl thread

Pics
I don’t think they’re bad looking. I like the cock more than the hen. My question would be whether the cock has the fire a gamefowl ought to have. If he does, I’d say be content to just call it a gamefowl. Don’t try to attach a breeder label to it.

I’d be skeptical of his breed labels, not only because its trashy for him to claim to be too busy to help, but its darn hard keeping even 2 or 3 lines pure and in good shape. Not unless he just has a single pair of each would he be likely able to hold that many lines.

Bought some eggs on eBay last year from a breeder that listed the eggs were random from all his different brood pens, hatched out 6/12 and kept these 2 for myself. I’ve been trying to figure out what line they are but the breeder doesn’t wanna help since he/she’s “too busy”. I was wondering if maybe y’all can help? *The posibble lines are: Loyce Derouen Cardinal Club Kelso, Stuart Yellow leg hatch, Gene Batia Golden monkey Sweater, Johnny Moore Albany, Lacy Roundhead. Let me know if more info or pics are needed, thanks.
Both birds show moderately low station as if they have a lot of Aseel blood. That with showing cotton during photograph gives appearance of low station for tail in the cock/bull stag. The presence or lack there of quality breeding may not matter much for essentially yard ornaments

Can anyone help me identify the breed of these game hens? The seller didn't have info other than that they are game hens. They are smaller than leghorns, bigger than OEGBs.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-20 at 7.39.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-20 at 7.39.23 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
  • Screen Shot 2023-02-20 at 7.39.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-20 at 7.39.30 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
Gamefowl can be partridge based or wheaten (black-tail buff) based. The roosters are black-breasted red and all look the same but the hens are either partridge or wheaten. Each will breed true to type. It looks like you have both types.
I was more interested in knowing the breed, like Sweater, Kelso, Roundhead, Carlisle, Oxford, or whatever. Partridge and wheaten are color patterns that can show up in any breed, right?

I was more interested in knowing the breed, like Sweater, Kelso, Roundhead, Carlisle, Oxford, or whatever. Partridge and wheaten are color patterns that can show up in any breed, right?
Sweater, Kelso, and Roundhead, ect aren’t really breeds. They’re all bloodlines of one breed, the American gamefowl. The labels are supposed to mean that the bird’s ancestors came from the named famous breeder, and there’s no way to know that looking at the bird. There are many people today who try to identify a bloodline by its colors or comb type and generally that’s just mythology designed to add marketing value to someone’s gamefowl.

Carlise and Oxford are varieties of Old English Game and they are in fact different enough they could be considered different breeds in the same way English bulldogs and Staffordshire bull terriers a different.

No way of knowing the lineage. Only way to know is if the breeder of these birds tells you specifically and even then you just have his word and these days that's not worth alot..

Sweater, Kelso, and Roundhead, ect aren’t really breeds. They’re all bloodlines of one breed, the American gamefowl. The labels are supposed to mean that the bird’s ancestors came from the named famous breeder, and there’s no way to know that looking at the bird. There are many people today who try to identify a bloodline by its colors or comb type and generally that’s just mythology designed to add marketing value to someone’s gamefowl.

Carlise and Oxford are varieties of Old English Game and they are in fact different enough they could be considered different breeds in the same way English bulldogs and Staffordshire bull terriers a different.
So by your logic this can be a roundhead

20221217_152413.jpg

Ooops! Ah, that's good to know. Is it possible to tell if they are American, Old English, or something else? They don't really look like Oriental gamefowl to me (small heads, upright tails).

I'm just hoping these aren't random barnyard mixes being passed off as "game hens" :\

Back
Top Bottom