New garden shed to coop...design help?

Now I plan on painting the inside to help protect wood and reflect light.
Question about the roost bar though. I have two handrails that were given to me that are oak. Are these suitable for a roost bar?

Is it not less than 2" wide (3-4" seems to be best)?

If yes, free is great -- though a bit of a shame to use something that nice in a chicken coop.

If they've been finished with a slick, glossy coating of urethane or varnish you'll want to sand them lightly so that it won't be slippery.

I have two handrails that were given to me that are oak. Are these suitable for a roost bar?
I'd use them. In my opinion it's better to use something even if it is "nice" instead of letting it lay around taking up space as junk and getting ruined.

Those are not going to be 3" or 4" wide. There ae minimum and maximum size requirements so people can grip them, they are going to be smaller than that.

There are differing opinions on what shapes and sizes are best for roosts. Some of those opinions can be pretty strong. Some people feel you are abusing your chicken if the roosts are not round and a size where they can grip them. Others feel equally strongly that the roosts have to be flat for different reasons. Some people have gone so far as to say they chickens can't bend their toes to grip, which is obvious nonsense. A common reason given is that if they roost on something flat their feathers will cover their feet and keep them warm. When mine roost on my 2x4 roosts on edge (1-1/2" wide) their feathers cover their feet anyway. Their feet just disappear. I don't know how cold your extreme is in winter. I've never kept chickens with weather below -20 F (-29 C) so I can't speak to that, but warmer than that I personally would not worry about it.

Chickens tend to sleep on the highest spot available that they can get to. That night be a 2x rafter on edge, a tree branch, or a shelf or platform very wide and flat. In my opinion any are acceptable. The chickens don't seem to mind.

Would I sand them? Probably not. The reason I sand is to remove possible splinters. Those better not have any. Some people seal the roosts on the thought that it protects against roost mites. Some tree branches can be pretty slick if you remove the bark. Some people worry about cleaning poop off of the roosts, I don't know if those are sealed or are bare wood and I doubt poop will build up anyway, but the smoother they are the easier they are to clean. They will probably stain from poop anyway. With the chickens pooping on them and then polishing that in with their feet my roosts can get pretty slick.

If you are planning on painting the roosts and they are really slick I might sand them to rough it up so the paint will stick better but otherwise probably not. I don't see a lot of benefit.

Once you clear the insulation put perches along the biggest wall and on the smallest walls put nesting boxes then put water and food were you want paint before put in perches, water, food, and nesting boxes.
Personally I wouldn't put any food or water inside the coop, just inviting critters, but that's just my opinion 😉

The hand rails are sealed and I have #2, 8’ ones. So plenty to use for a roost. Will probably scratch up and paint to match the inside.
I’m thinking of taking out the smaller workbench for more working space since it’s only 12” wide and the other is 24” wide.
For shade I’m thinking of getting another iv mesh tarp for the summer and putting it over the plastic and removing it in the winter.
Still trying to figure out nesting boxes

The hand rails are sealed and I have #2, 8’ ones. So plenty to use for a roost. Will probably scratch up and paint to match the inside.
I’m thinking of taking out the smaller workbench for more working space since it’s only 12” wide and the other is 24” wide.
For shade I’m thinking of getting another iv mesh tarp for the summer and putting it over the plastic and removing it in the winter.
Still trying to figure out nesting boxes
Can't wait to see the finished product.

New question- roofing material for the attached run.
I have a 10x15' welded black wire outdoor dog kennel that's currently in use with my tiny coop that I will be adding to this new one. It currently is sitting underneath a portable canopy. Unfortunately with living in Ohio and have lake-effect snow; I had to go out and use a broom to remove snow more than once this winter. And I don't want to have to do that again. So as a result, I'm looking at adding a permanent roof structure to it that will allow snow and rain to come off. Looking at what other's have done online, I can use the canopy frame work and add supports for a corrugated roof. Now, would it make sense to use metal or can I get away with the plastic roofing material? Metal costs are currently like lumber costs, so I wasn't sure if I could get away with the plastic instead as it appears cheaper.

Also- Picking up nesting boxes after work today. Found toy bins at target that I can stack and attach to the walls inside the coop. They're already white, so won't need painted.

Found an 8x12' piece of linoleum for the floor at Home Depot for $45, FB marketplace was a bust for flooring. Plain on painting the inside once the temps warm up again. it's a balmy 42* today. Scored a 5 gallon bucket of barn and fence paint from TSC that was cheaper than 2 gallons of "normal" paint at the big box store.

Hoping to actually start doing more renovation this coming week as I'm off of work so I actually have some free time to work on it (and hopefully warmer weather). I'm in the "accumulate STUFF" phase lol.

Hello everyone! I scored a garden shed/green house on FB marketplace to covert into a coop. It’s approximately 8x8. I’m requesting some design help to make it the best it can be for my flock! Open to all options and suggestions! TYIA
Beautiful. I’m watching this thread for ideas. I have a nice shed that I need to convert. I’m in West Mansfield, Ohio and don’t have anything ready.
My shed will need to be moved to make room for my husbands pole barn before I can really start on it.
I really want to see your finished product and what everyone has to say about it.

Back
Top Bottom