New Girl on the Block!

Deirdre

Hatching
10 Years
Apr 20, 2009
Hi!
I have just found this site as I was looking for some help...my white leghorn hen had dissappeared and was only returning now and again for food....I have now discovered where she had a lovely group of eggs (about 20!!!) What should I do, do I move them? My hens are free range (only have 6 and a rooster) and can go where they please hence not finding her hiding place! Do you think the babies would be dead? Help!

This is the second broody leghorn on here in 2 days and leghorns never go broody. It must be spring.

Check this link from yesterday. It's not quite your situation, but it may help, especially if you decide to move her.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=166149

Do you know how long she has been brooding the eggs. You could possibly try candling to determine if any are viable. I'll include a candling link. I'd be concerned as 20 eggs are quite a bit for a leghorn to adequately cover. Whether you move her or not, I'd be very tempted to candle and try to keep only viable eggs under her. I'd think 12 would be a good number for a leghorn.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/LC-candling.html

The main thing I'd consider as far as moving her is how safe is she from predators. With them free-ranging you don't have most of the conditions where I think isolation is important. You don't have chickens stacked on top of each other in coops and relatively small runs like me where there is competition for nesting space which leads to most of the problems. However, most predator attacks occur at night, so I would be cautious. Maybe you could leave her nest where it is and try putting a doghouse or something over the nest where you could lock her up at night. I think I would either try to move her or protect her where she is.

It is very possible other hens are laying in the nest with her. You do need to mark the eggs and check under her daily to remove any fresh eggs if she is not isolated from the flock, even if you don't move her.

welcome-byc.gif

From California

Thanks for info! The biggest predator we have here are foxes...and they can be a big bother. We live in Ireland, thankfully Spring is here

Ireland! You probably have a different strain of Leghorn. That might explain her going broody.

If I might make a suggestion, you might modify your profile to show your location. You are not the only Irish member of this forum. It could help answering some questions. It took me a while to realize that.

I have never had another Guinness since having one (actually more than one) in Dublin. It does not travel well. We started in Dublin, went south and west, then back across to Dublin. I will always remember your roads and tour busses.

I highly recommend a visit to Ireland to anyone reading this. Just be sure you have auto insurance. Most major credit cards exclude Ireland when it comes to providing rental car insurance.

Quote:
My ancestors, on my mother's side, come from Ireland and if I ever travel overseas, Ireland is at the top of my list of places to go!!!
big_smile.png

Welcome to the forum, Deirdre!!
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom