New goat(s) owner..Maybe..

Steven Bussell

Songster
May 5, 2019
Bay Area Calif
40 years ago I wanted to raise goats while I was in FFA but because the goat barn was already full I ended up raising a pig.
I own a place that has a sleep hill . I have to wear baseball cleats to keep from falling on my back side...
I'm against using a weed killer....
I have a nice flat area I'll set up a shelter for everyday living ... And on weekends move it to the fence in hillside for maybe 5-6 hrs. .
My biggest concern is I really would prefer just having one goat....
But I don't want it to be unhappy...
Would it be mean to add a second one in 3-4 months....
I don't have access...But I do have 3 nice spaces that I would love for him to keep moved for us...
He would be a pet and spoiled like all our other pets...

That's the way I'm leading....
I'm going to get two of the smaller breed instead of one bigger guy...
Last thing I want is unhappy pets..
My pig was raised with dog's and would come in the house and take naps in my livingroom.
I have aDoe and a wether. One is a Fainting goat and the other is a Nigerian Dwarf/Fainting goat.

My animal experience has taught me that no creature is content as a singular unit. Even amongst numerous chickens or ducks, every single one prefers the company of a direct like creature. My single Polish is miserable.

Aim for a pair of pygmy breed goats. Inquire in depth about their previous habitats. A large majority of goats don't know how to forage well if they were bred and raised in a dry lot.

I have two goats now, did have a buck..don’t go that route unless you intend...for..well..just stick to does or wethers...nice goats...:lol: And I have a Pygmy..she’s sweet as pie, but a bit naughty..tries to sneak into my grain room...but, yes..you really do need a pair of goats...and, I jumped into goats before the research...there is sooo much that goes into these animals...very complex. I definitely say get them, but read up so you are prepared for all the ins and outs of specialty care...:) PS...both my does are pregnant and due beginning of February! I’m sooo excited and busy getting prepared!!

Back
Top Bottom