New guy with a whole lot of questions!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by billybob107, Oct 18, 2009.

1. billybob107

billybob107 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2009
    So my wife has been bugging me to get chickens for the last 2 years, long story short, I have finally caved in, and am plotting out my coop to build this winter, for chickens in the spring. I am in the process of doing a lot of research, one of my first questions is there a on-line site that you can order less 25 new chicks? My wife wants some particular breeds, however we only want to start out with 6-8 chicks, and she doesn't want any roosters. Any advice would be great! Thanks to all!

2. musson

musson Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2009
    Hillsborough NC
    mypetchicken.com

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Hi! And Welcome! [​IMG] I think that you can order less then 25 from My Pet Chickens Hatchery..

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:[​IMG] Ya beat me to it!

5. TexasVet

TexasVet Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    Always order a few more than you want. This gives you a fudge factor in case some don't arrive in good shape, die, or are taken by predators.

Ideal has a $20 minimum, rather than the 25 bird minimum. They're my favorite hatchery. MyPetChicken.com lets you order as few as 3, but packing and shipping is very expensive. If you're going to spend that much, you may as well buy grown birds off Craigslist!

And you can find a list of other hatcheries by state here: http://www.countrychickens.com/country_chickens_4_003.htm

Kathy
    , Bellville TX
    www.ChickenTrackin.com

6. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    First off [​IMG] and second mypetchicken.com has a minimum of 5 chicks. So that works for you!!!!

7. Hopefully

Hopefully Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2009
    Good luck!
    Chickens are great to have around.. don't know what I'd do without mine.
    I have 2 bantam hens. One bantam has 1 chick (the other died after being attacked by a dog) and I have another bantam who has gone broody with 9 eggs. I'm hoping she gets at least 2 chicks out of it.

[​IMG]

8. billybob107

billybob107 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2009
    Thanks for all the feedback!

Most places I have looked at are sold out now, and I assume that spring is the time to get some new chicks. Does mypetchicken.com have a bigger selection in the spring time?

9. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Quote:Every hatchery has more chicks in the spring time.

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    What about your local feed store? That's where I got mine.

Sexing is not 100% accurate, so sometimes the girl turns out to be a boy. (didn't happen to me although my feed store told me they would take it back if it turned out to be a rooster)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by