New guy with a whole lot of questions!

billybob107

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 13, 2009
So my wife has been bugging me to get chickens for the last 2 years, long story short, I have finally caved in, and am plotting out my coop to build this winter, for chickens in the spring. I am in the process of doing a lot of research, one of my first questions is there a on-line site that you can order less 25 new chicks? My wife wants some particular breeds, however we only want to start out with 6-8 chicks, and she doesn't want any roosters. Any advice would be great! Thanks to all!

Hi! And Welcome!
frow.gif
I think that you can order less then 25 from My Pet Chickens Hatchery..

Always order a few more than you want. This gives you a fudge factor in case some don't arrive in good shape, die, or are taken by predators.

Ideal has a $20 minimum, rather than the 25 bird minimum. They're my favorite hatchery. MyPetChicken.com lets you order as few as 3, but packing and shipping is very expensive. If you're going to spend that much, you may as well buy grown birds off Craigslist!

And you can find a list of other hatcheries by state here: http://www.countrychickens.com/country_chickens_4_003.htm

Kathy
, Bellville TX
www.ChickenTrackin.com

Good luck!
Chickens are great to have around.. don't know what I'd do without mine.
I have 2 bantam hens. One bantam has 1 chick (the other died after being attacked by a dog) and I have another bantam who has gone broody with 9 eggs. I'm hoping she gets at least 2 chicks out of it.

welcome-byc.gif

Thanks for all the feedback!

Most places I have looked at are sold out now, and I assume that spring is the time to get some new chicks. Does mypetchicken.com have a bigger selection in the spring time?

What about your local feed store? That's where I got mine.

Sexing is not 100% accurate, so sometimes the girl turns out to be a boy. (didn't happen to me although my feed store told me they would take it back if it turned out to be a rooster)

Back
Top Bottom