New guy with some questions about week old chicks

smitty750

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 14, 2011
Bethel
So I have 4 week old chicks they're eating, drinking, pooping and sleeping lol. Today they are much more active flinging shavings, jumping, peeping etc. my questions are these

1. When can I give them treats?
2. I have chick cakes and dried mealworms, if I give them either of those do they need some sort of grit to help digest it? I'm feeding chick starter medicated crumbles.
3. Should I introduce dirt from outside into the brooder, and if so should I sprinkle it into the shavings or add a small container and put it in there?
4. Is a dust bath a good idea? And is a mix of dirt/sand, ash and diatomaceous earth ok?
5. Is diatomaceous earth safe for chicks?
6. And I cants seem to get the temp to stay between 90-95. Lower it and it goes to 100, raise it and it drops to 85-90. Is this ok?

At a month old I would imagine that the 85 to 90 would be ok. I always leave some grit in the brooding area and they peck at it off and on. You can put it in with the shavings or even mix it in with their food.Mine usually had chick cakes from the time they were 2 weeks old. If you have a cat litter box that you can add dirt to, use that. I always did that with mine. I would put a mix of sand and dirt from the yard. When I would put dirt from the yard I always made sure to add a couple of clumps of sod so they could eat some green grass.

Ok so maybe add some chick grit or do you think the dirt clumps would have enough grit in them?

At 4 weeks 90 is too hot.

This is a basic guideline for heat requirements: First week 90-95,Second wk 85-90,Third wk 80-85,Fourth wk 75-80,Fifth wk 70-75.

If feeding chicks anything other than chick feed,they need grit to digest food.

Last edited:
I love when the babies start running around and learning how to use their wings. As far as the temp, the best way to determine if it is too hot or too cold is by how they are acting. Huddling together is too cold and staying away from the heat and panting is too hot. The specific temp isn't as important but as the other posted on the temp is a good starting point. Feeding treats is okay as long as its not too much and they aren't eating their crumbles. They really to need grit to grind up their food. If it's too cold out for them to scratch around then bringing the outside in to them would work. As far as DE, just make sure it is food grade DE. I use DE in a variety of ways......in a litter box for dust baths, in their food to prevent worms and other things and in the bedding to help keep it dry longer and keep the bad bugs away. It sounds like your doing a good job with them, tho, so keep up the good work and enjoy them
thumbsup.gif

Again thanks everyone for the info. I took the chicks outside today for the first time and they LOVED it!!! They chased each other around in circles flapping their wings and keeping all of us entertained. They scratched and picked at the grass even rolled around in the sand than they all jumped into my lap and passed out haha. Not gonna lie these chicks are hilarious and so far I'm loving this chicken thing.
Oh and they loved the dried mealworms and sprouts, chased each other around trying to steal them haha. Enjoy everyone good luck.

Oh another question. I have 6 new chicks coming on the 15th of April. Will the new 2 day old chicks be ok with my existing chicks that will at that point be 2.5/3 weeks old??

I have the same question except I would be introducing a 6 week old chick to a 9 week old chick. Would that be ok? And to answer your question Smitty, I think I would keep them separately from the older chicks until they reach about two weeks of age. I would just worry about the new chicks being too fragile.

Back
Top Bottom