New Hampshire Breed for Exhibition & SOP

i regretted getting the hens shortly after they reached maturity, but luckily i got the main breeding rooster from a smaller hatchery, he was very close to the standard. Ive been told i got very lucky, he actually got best in breed at the local county fair.

ok it depends on where you live, the breeder i'm getting them from in February lives in Somerset, Ky. but another breeder lives in Rhoadesville, VA. Unfortunately there are very few new hamp breeders these days.

Marking for later. Anyone here have Bantams?
Quite a few New Hampshire Bantams being exhibited at shows.
New Hampshire Breeders Club of America National Meet is at Dixie Classic Knoxville TN January 30 and 31 202.
NHBCA Western District Meet is November 7 2020 Norman OKLAHOMA
FB pages
New Hampshire Breeders Club of America and New Hampshires SOP

Attachments

• BAC23C4E-2295-45BF-B545-8EEB6477B84F.jpeg
    BAC23C4E-2295-45BF-B545-8EEB6477B84F.jpeg
    619.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 15CCAF06-65F9-4E77-B189-5CA0D4D20C4E.jpeg
    15CCAF06-65F9-4E77-B189-5CA0D4D20C4E.jpeg
    142.3 KB · Views: 9
Thank you for starting this thread.

Matt, I would like to see a discussion on where are birds fall short. The tendencies that we are seeing etc.

George...I can tell you what I'm seeing at the shows and what I think are some problems in the breed currently. The one thing that stands out is that a lot of NH large fowl have tails that are way to high. I think overall the New Hamp LF are getting better and better. I would like to see their numbers grow some more but we have come leaps and bounds already. Just as recently as 6-7 years ago New Hamp LF were almost nonexistent in the show room.

Matt

Matt, do you get the feeling the strain is moving forward?

All I am getting a feel from is what I am seeing online.

I see a lot of high tails. I had my fill of those before I started with these, so I do not keep any.

I want to see more depth and width. I am seeing a lot of shallow and cut off birds, more with the males just like I was seeing with my own. I had made a little progress with this, but I do not know what I have growing out yet.
I am not going to put a lot of hope in this bunch, other than identifying something useful. I do hope that I am able to do a small fall batch.

Depth, width, more breast, and length of keel is what I want to see better. And yes, the tails.

I wanted to tame the show boat tails on my birds, particularly with the pullets. The problem is that I like them as hens.

Back
Top Bottom