New Hampshire Red "bit" by hungarian hunting dog

shoregirl68

Songster
6 Years
Jul 23, 2013
Maryland
8 1/2 month old NHR got into neighbors fenced in yard and was not really attacked or bit but the dog had her in his mouth. She was really freaked out of course. I checked her and found no signs of major injury, blood, just loss of feathers. Mostly tail area, the hollow shaft quill is still attached.

We're newbies so not sure if we should just let nature take it's course, thinking they will grow back? Do the quills need to be removed? When we examined her she did not seem to be in any pain or distress and was eating normally afterwards. She was picking at the area a bit. There really is no pecking order in terms of chickens themselves but chickens chase cats and ducks chase chickens...so really cats at bottom of order
hu.gif

Thanks in advance for your expert advice!! This is pix before incident. Will try to post post-incident tomorrow as this happened late in day.

Lucky girl, sounds like the neighbors Vizsla was channeling his retriever side, just didn't quite know what to do with a live uncooperative bird. Unless the feather shafts are loose and bothering her, broken off near the skin or something, I usually just let them be, they will fall out and be replaced at her next molt. She is young, but the stress of being mauled may throw her into a molt. If she has bare skin anywhere, I would consider spraying her with Blu-Kote to help avoid the other ones deciding to start picking on her.

thanks for quick reply

tried to take pix just now...there luckily is no bare skin. Feathers must me pushed back to see area but thinking I should still be proactive in assisting her to mend. Had to pull feathers back to expose this area...possible scratch and have no idea what nodule thing is with brown/black tip. Quills appear to be gone, just some bare areas again only seen when feathers parted.

As you can see her she is missing quite a few of her gorgeous tail feathers :)

Have to say that she is very laid back and we only really have one bully chicken who is only aggressive when "someone" tries to roost next to her.

Am I able to purchase the Blu-Kote at Tractor Supply??

Thanks again

Would guess that is her oil or preen gland from where it looks like the picture is taken. Is that dried blood on the feathers there? Does look like she was one lucky girl. TSC or most farm stores will carry Blue-Kote or something similar, sometimes in the horse or livestock section.

Thanks everyone. Love this forum! She is doing fine today. Currently sitting in a nesting box laying an egg. I will check the area one more time before "bed"...but if she is stressed she is very good at hiding it....didn't "ruffle her feathers" apparently ;-)

Back
Top Bottom