Broken Wing?

RuralChick83

In the Brooder
Jan 17, 2023
Fillmore, WI
Just yesterday I let my chickens free range for a little bit because of the heat. They went in out woods, only a few feet in, to take a dirt bath and stay in the shade. I was in the front yard (about 30 feet away) when 3 of them came out making their alarm noise. I ran towards the woods shouting and then my last chicken came out missing some feathers on her back. Not sure if it was a fox or ground hog. I know my dogs just killed a ground hog early in the week, but with the heat and lack of rain in our area the predators have been coming out more. She seemed to be fine and I thought just a little shaken from the attack, but when it was time to go in the coop at night, she struggled getting up the ramp and did not go on the top perch. When I examined her after the attack, there was no blood and just missing a small chunk of feathers, but I am wondering if it injured or broke one of her wings during the attack. She hasn't really moved them and she walks around fine. I did not see her really eat anything this morning before I went to work. I am planning on wrapping her wings when I get home, but should I be giving her anything specific to eat or anything else to help?

Are either of her wings drooping? Look carefully to see if any bones are sticking out through the skin, since that could get infected. You don’t have to wrap the wing unless it is broken. I would just leave it, or wrap it in a natural position against her body with vet wrap or kerlix gauze or even t-shirt material. If there is a bone throught he skin, you should clean with Hibiclens or Betadine, and consider antibiotics.

a ground hog wont attack chickens unless the chicken REALLY pissed them off. and i mean like grabbing them and holding them down. do you have any photos of the injuries?

No, Her wings didn't look like they were drooping and I did not feel anything out of place. I can double check her closer when I get home. I know a few of her feathers looked a little ruffled from the attack. My husband took the picture. I can take better ones when I get home. I wasn't sure if it was a fox because they are usually good at getting them. Could it have been a skunk or a hawk? Not sure if she was dragged a little or picked up and taken a few feet away? The spot missing feathers is just below her neck.
Salt.jpg

any puncture wounds of any kind that you had seen? hawk would have a harder time in the woods getting them but not impossible. skunk, fox and the occasional coon during the day.

No puncture wounds and no blood. The area is a little open in the woods were they were and they were near my compost pile, which could have brought a raccoon or skunk, but it was around 1pm when it happened.

Salt 2.jpg
Salt 10.jpg
Salt 18.jpg
Here are some new pics of Salt. It looks like her right wings is slightly lower than the left, but the ruffled feathers on top make it hard to distinguish. She is doing much better. She did get up on the roosting bar last night, but wanted help down this morning. Eating and drinking fine. Laid an egg yesterday. The other girls leave her alone, so I think I will just watch her and hope she heals well.

Back
Top Bottom