New Hampshire Red OR New Hampshire Heritage Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no breed called New Hampshire RED. There just isn't. No breed listed with the American Poultry Association or accepted by the APA with that name, no matter how often people casually use it. Thus, a New Hampshire Red Heritage bird is a misnomer, a myth.

The breeds accepted are Rhode Island Red or New Hampshire.

The is a Rhode Island Red

This is a New Hampshire.

There is no such thing as a registered bird either.

You'll find lots of folks here on BYC who are extremely knowledgable, such as APA Judge and Breeder, NYREDS who posted earlier. Many folks would be delighted to help teach and help folks learn about these true APA, true bred, heritage fowl, if one is willing to learn. Unless one gets their chickens from a true breeder, you'll not get heritage, or true bred birds. Hatcheries and feed stores that re-sell hatchery birds, simply do not have them.

Yes, but watch this:

They are both the same breed, NH and NHR. Mine are much crappier, I'm sure, and the birds you linked to are heritage. But all I'm trying to say is that they're all the same breed.

The breed is called New Hampshire AND New Hampshire Red. Agreed, New Hampshire is the most accurate name, but New Hampshire Red is legitimate as well.

Btw, you can't see it in the pics, but my birds also have black tails.
I wouldn't go to much on what P. Allen Smith say's about chickens. He is only calling them what that hatchery he got them from called them. (he is not a poultry breeder, a poultry expert, a master breeder or a poultry judge)

You may want to look at more reliable resources when doing your home work on poultry.

What does the black tail have to do with anything? Lots of breeds are red (or orange) with black tails.

Chris

These birds are... As my old grandma from Mars used to say, New Hampshire Reds.

And you see... we aren't all chicken geniuses. I'm not Bobby Fischer of the chicken world. I'm liable to get things mixed up. Unlike you, the Great God And Master Of High Chicken Expertise. Both breeds are red. Duh'oh.

And as for certified.................................................................... Make your own generalizations. They are "pure bred" birds. This is Sparta, and my birds are New Hampshire Reds.

cool.png

You're an extremely rude child. You come on here making outrageous statements & arguing when you are clearly wrong. You state, your words, that your are proud of being mininformed which seems a very odd thing to be proud of. Most people who come here do so because they want to become informed yet you continue to resist any opportunity to learn.
In a sense I suppose it's not your fault. Your attitude is the result of a society that has stopped keeping score in games, gives everyone a ribbon regardless of the quality of their participation & says everyone is special. A basic understanding of logic tells us if everyone is special, no one is.
Why don't you lose the arrogant attitude which isn't a particularly attractive attribute in anyone, especially a child. If you really think you're interested in involving yourself in breeding & showing poultry you can'y hope to succeed anything at it with the level of knowledge you now possess. Use this excellent opportunity to learn something about the activity you claim to be interested in. There are a number of knowledgeable people here who can help you with this if you lose the attitude.
The other option is to continue to allienate people & continue to say things that prove how little you know.

There is no breed called New Hampshire RED. There just isn't. No breed listed with the American Poultry Association or accepted by the APA with that name, no matter how often people casually use it. Thus, a New Hampshire Red Heritage bird is a misnomer, a myth.

The breeds accepted are Rhode Island Red or New Hampshire.

The is a Rhode Island Red

This is a New Hampshire.

There is no such thing as a registered bird either.

You'll find lots of folks here on BYC who are extremely knowledgable, such as APA Judge and Breeder, NYREDS who posted earlier. Many folks would be delighted to help teach and help folks learn about these true APA, true bred, heritage fowl, if one is willing to learn. Unless one gets their chickens from a true breeder, you'll not get heritage, or true bred birds. Hatcheries and feed stores that re-sell hatchery birds, simply do not have them.
Do you have any idea where I could access Heritage birds?

I wouldn't go to much on what P. Allen Smith say's about chickens. He is only calling them what that hatchery he got them from called them. (he is not a poultry breeder, a poultry expert, a master breeder or a poultry judge)

You may want to look at more reliable resources when doing your home work on poultry.

What does the black tail have to do with anything? Lots of breeds are red (or orange) with black tails.

Chris
It just happens that P. Allen is a breeder, and a poultry expert and a great guy. Don't demean him.

And as you can see from this picture, NHR's have black tails.
LL

You're an extremely rude child. You come on here making outrageous statements & arguing when you are clearly wrong. You state, your words, that your are proud of being mininformed which seems a very odd thing to be proud of. Most people who come here do so because they want to become informed yet you continue to resist any opportunity to learn.
In a sense I suppose it's not your fault. Your attitude is the result of a society that has stopped keeping score in games, gives everyone a ribbon regardless of the quality of their participation & says everyone is special. A basic understanding of logic tells us if everyone is special, no one is.
Why don't you lose the arrogant attitude which isn't a particularly attractive attribute in anyone, especially a child. If you really think you're interested in involving yourself in breeding & showing poultry you can'y hope to succeed anything at it with the level of knowledge you now possess. Use this excellent opportunity to learn something about the activity you claim to be interested in. There are a number of knowledgeable people here who can help you with this if you lose the attitude.
The other option is to continue to allienate people & continue to say things that prove how little you know.
My dear sir, I refuse to be bullied. I am not making "outrageous statements." Now why don't you leave this thread if it so upsets you.

It just happens that P. Allen is a breeder, and a poultry expert and a great guy. Don't demean him.

And as you can see from this picture, NHR's have black tails.
LL
He may have and let chickens breed but he is no breeder of chicken.

As I said before what does the Black Tail have to do with anything?
Just because a chicken is Orange with a Black Tail doesn't mean it is a New Hampshire just the same not all Red chicken with a Black tails are Rhode Island Reds (Red's)

Chris

He may have and let chickens breed but he is no breeder of chicken.

As I said before what does the Black Tail have to do with anything?
Just because a chicken is Orange with a Black Tail doesn't mean it is a New Hampshire just the same not all Red chicken with a Black tails are Rhode Island Reds (Red's)

Chris
P. Allen actually breeds birds. As in trying to save the particular breed of chicken. Trust me, I've watched all of his videos.

Look, I got my birds from a legit hatchery, Ideal Poultry, I believe. They were listed as NHR's. And I know in advance what you're going to say. Hatcheries have bad stock, don't buy, etc. etc. ect.

The fact of the matter is, I don't have piles of money to blow on world-class birds. Ok?

You may what to look up the term "Heritage" and what it means when applied to poultry. example Heritage Rhode Island Reds, or Heritage New Hampshire.

Quote from ALBC http://albc-usa.org/heritagechicken/definition.html
Now by that definition there is no such Heritage Breed as a New Hampshire "Red".
Note that you named the thread "New Hampshire Red Heritage Thread".

There was never nor will there ever be a "Heritage" New Hampshire "Red". As far as that go's there will never be a breed known as a New Hampshire "Red".

Chris

P. Allen actually breeds birds. As in trying to save the particular breed of chicken. Trust me, I've watched all of his videos.
How is P. Allen saving the New Hampshire chicken with a flock of Hatchery New Hampshire's?

I will also say that a breeder of any type would know that a Male Chicken over a Year old is not a Cockerel, it is a Cock or Rooster.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom